rounded bevels - you know it makes sense!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Paul Sellers up to his tricks again.
He's a bit more thorough than me - I tend to miss out one or more stages.
BTW if anybody has any doubts - it works extremely well and is very quick.

I saw that, was impressed by the evidence and thought about posting it... but I didn't!

Can I just say now that I have learnt from this forum that there are many different ways of getting tools sharp, and the fact that any one method works does not mean that the other methods don't work. Also that people will have their own reasons for preferring one rather than another.

(What am I doing? I normally stay out of the sharpening threads!!)

AndyT":3euifqws said:
Can I just say now that I have learnt from this forum that there are many different ways of getting tools sharp, and the fact that any one method works does not mean that the other methods don't work. Also that people will have their own reasons for preferring one rather than another.

I completely disagree. :lol: :lol:

BugBear

I've been reading Paul Sellers' his blog since I saw him demonstrate at Cressing Temple. I don't doubt his level of craftsmanship or his techniques, but something about the way he writes really rubs me up the wrong way. Very much holier than thou, in my opinion.

"What they did have was hollowed out stones and it was on these that they honed the bevel of their chisels only and not the flat face, which they kept the other side of their whetstones completely flat for."

Contradictory, no? How can he argue that stones don't need to be flat, then say that one side has to be kept completely flat? A month or two ago he wrote a long post "debunking the myth" about stones having to be kept flat. He only mentioned stones hollow across their length, no mention of across the width. There's no myth about stones hollow across the length that I am aware of.

DTR":22n5xp5s said:
I've been reading Paul Sellers' his blog since I saw him demonstrate at Cressing Temple. I don't doubt his level of craftsmanship or his techniques, but something about the way he writes really rubs me up the wrong way. Very much holier than thou, in my opinion......
Yes he is a bit, I agree. But a lot of our would-be-gurus are! Google "Cult of Expertise" :shock:
They are all prats in reality.

DTR":37apz22y said:
I've been reading Paul Sellers' his blog since I saw him demonstrate at Cressing Temple. I don't doubt his level of craftsmanship or his techniques, but something about the way he writes really rubs me up the wrong way. Very much holier than thou, in my opinion.

"What they did have was hollowed out stones and it was on these that they honed the bevel of their chisels only and not the flat face, which they kept the other side of their whetstones completely flat for."

Most of "their" stones were irreversibly embedded in a box, and were effectively single sided!

BugBear

Back