Round Lidded Garlic Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Worker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks looking for ideas please.
I want to make a garlic storage box out of a round lidded box. It has to have ventilation so was hoping someone may have made one of these or have suggestions on how to provide ventilation without looking like I've just drilled some holes in the side.

I don't think I will go to that extreme thank you :)

You could drill holes and make a cover though. I was thinking more like a tiny bowl, cut in half and glued on.

Or could you either turn something with an overhanging rim which would cover up the hole underneath (it would be beyond my turning skills but...) Or turn your box and add a lining piece that forms a cover and the lid fits inside that liner. That option I probably would have a go at.

If you were to drill your vents in the side at an angle and drilling up towards the top of the piece this could be easier to "disguise"?

I was always taught that if you couldnt hide something try and make a feature of it so I thought if I drilled holes around the box in a line and then made a small groove with a parting tool the same width as the diameter of the holes that might look Ok. Could make the groove first and then drill holes in groove. Any thoughts?

Are you talking about a large pot to store the season's harvest, or just something on the kitchen worktop for, say, a couple of garlic bulbs at a time?

Last edited:
We have a clay one, holes in the top. Seems fine, if you dont mind seeing the holes. I have been instructed to make a wooden one, but appear to have responded too slowly!

IMG_0036.JPG

I'd drill the holes using a dark matter drill bit so that the holes won't even be visible to the human eye.

I'd drill the holes using a dark matter drill bit so that the holes won't even be visible to the human eye.

Might I suggest an entirely dark matter garlic pot? That way you needn't worry about the holes or the pot being visible....there is of course the gravitational pull of the dark matter to be considered. And if you're turning dark matter on a lathe there may be implications on the spacetime continuum, but I'd refer that to someone with a bigger brain than I

Back