Round end to a table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colinham

Reaction score
My wife would like a new kitchen table. Square at one end so it can go hard up against the wall but round at the other so she doesn't keep banging into it (it is going to stick out from the wall into the kitchen). I'm a bit new to all of this so I was just going to make a simple planked table top and cut the semicircle with my router. However my wife would like the end of the table to have a plank at right angles to the top (breadboard end?) Would this be possible at the round end. Not sure if it makes any difference but she wants it made of oak.

Cheers
Colin

Certainly possible, but its suddenly been upgraded to advanced skill level :roll: #-o

An arched breadboard end with curved tenons on all the planks will tax your patience and skill.

Is the sneaky solution to inlay a false curved breadboard end into the top surface and then veneer the curve? With good glue joints this could look like one piece (If no-one looks underneath).

A semi-circular breadboard end is a contradiction in terms, if you draw it out and look at how shrinkage will occur then you'll see it's inevitable that gaps will open up.

You could go profchris's veneered route, but you'd need a fair bit of experience to pull it off.

Your best option is a straightforward curve, but maybe a bit shallower than a full semi circle, bandsaw or jigsaw to within a couple of mill of the curve, then finish by copy routing to a template.

Back