Roubo Workbench Decisions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't disagree, my comment was in contrast to the power tool and assembly workbenches which have a thin ply surface (in the case shown, only 1/2")

Yes. But you don't need it. They were designed for the days when huge baulks of timber were worked exclusively by hand. Anything over about 100mm square for legs and 75mm thick for a top is really nothing more than extravagance. Mine is rock solid and not up to those dimensions.
It's rather contradictory to say you'll make it massive for rigidity then knock down for convenience - make the frame lighter and solid, one piece.

I have sympathy with this, but for me it was a matter of wanting to build something I would enjoy looking at whilst using it, and that would be suitable for hand tools if required. I don’t regret my decision at all, and when it came to building two assembly tables, I used the same principles to make two non-split roubo benches. That also had a lot to do with not being able to get a full sheet of material in to my workshop but needing a finished surface that large.

Thanks, that would be great.
Here you go:
IMG_20210304_175847.jpg
IMG_20210304_175832.jpg

Back