Rotary tool sanding drums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Don't know if i have mentioned this before but as i use loads of the 1/2" sanding drums for intarsia thought it might help others to not only save money but also improve their sanding and much more accurate than the crappy rubber ones Dremel charge ya a fortune for.
Right throw away the rubber drum holder and buy yourself one of these .Dura-Grit Carbide 701282 from Axminsters....they aren't cheap but once you have one it will last years and never wears out. Then you buy a bag of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Sanding- ... 8V49w41jpQ they are sold for nails but are exactly the same as the Dremel ones apart from you can choose what grit you want and they are only £3.40 for 100 (Dremel charge you the same for 10 of them) once you have them they just slide onto the Dura-Grit tool, no need to tighten any screws to expand the the rubber and as the tool is made from metal it does not flex when you are sanding so no wasting energy and the finish is 100% better because the tool doesn't deform as you put pressure on. I have never used the Dura-Grit bit on its own since discovering this. If you shop around you might be able to find the Dura-Grit tool cheaper but make sure its the 701282.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• 202443_xl.jpg
    202443_xl.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 557
Bixarre, but your original post stated a number that I could not find on axminster, but found elsewhere. Now that axminster link has a different number, but it is the same product.

Still a good idea though and I expect I shall get one in my next care package.

sunnybob":1ypj75nh said:
Bixarre, but your original post stated a number that I could not find on axminster, but found elsewhere. Now that axminster link has a different number, but it is the same product.

Still a good idea though and I expect I shall get one in my next care package.

Your right Bob, I put the wrong number the first time so edited it lol Sometimes these companies make their own numbers up and if you search for them you will only find the ones they are selling. I have the full set of the Dura-Grit bits and the only useful one is the round ball ended one which i used for hollowing eyes out and they work best on hardwoods but will work on softer woods but you may need to clean it with a wire brush after use too clear the resin. I use finer grit sanding tubes on Corian and leaves a nice finish.
Cheers and sorry for the number mix up :roll:

AES":17vpp3uw said:
Very good tip, thanks Brian.

Your welcome Andy, anything that saves costs is worth trying, I have managed to buy some chain in various sizes for the Clydesdale horses and only cost £3 for 2 mtrs of it.
Cheers :D

I can attest they are excellent bits of kit. Dura grit not only do bits for dremels but they also produce a full sanding kit for woodworkers. The sanding discs are actually metal and will last for years, I've had a couple of their discs (velcro back for ROS) for about 7 years and just clean them with either a small brass suede shoe brush or a big pencil rubber depepnding on what I've been sanding. Only thing is the discs are only between 40 and 150 grit, I really do wish they'd make some in the higher grits. Link to the kit below

https://duragrit.com/Woodworkers-Carbide-Tool-Set.html

Thanks for that Droogs. I didn't know about that particular set, but I do have a set of Duragrit hand sanders from an earlier time. 2 flats, a triangular, and 3 different dia rods. As your link says, they are good for fast material removal (they're pretty coarse) and as you say, it's easier to clean them off, whatever material you've been sanding (Acetone if necessary, it doesn't seem to affect the "stuck onto the metal backer" abrasive at all). Just as you say though, my set anyway, seems to come only in pretty coarse grits.

Nevertheless, book marked, with thanks to both you Droogs, and you too Claymore (for your earlier post). Now on my wish list.

Got some of those from a different company but they are really good and will remove wood fast, go lightly with pine as it tends to tear but on Oak etc they are great and bargain price too. Might buy some more for spares
Cheers

Back