Rose arch; build or buy ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to make or buy two timber rose arches for our garden, one to go at the top and one to go at the bottom of a set of not very attractive concrete steps. The steps rise approx 800 mm and extend for some 1800mm in total length I'd like them to be at least as wide as the steps which are 1530mm wide. Most of the ones I've seen are about 1200 mm width rather than the 1800 mm I need. They don't look complex to make so i'm thinking of making my own. Timber selection is not too vital as the plan is to cover with them in vigorous climbers such as Campsis. Anyone done something similar and care to comment please?

I made a garden arbor a few years back.
13CA1049-0480-4E72-BD73-1EDB0C493080.jpeg

Was a fun build and not too difficult, I got very carried away with joinery with drawbored M&Ts so there is no screws or glue. Looked great when first made, now invisible under the honeysuckle, sweet peas and clematis.

The build is here.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/garden-arbour.112708/Fitz.

I did a very simple one at home. I used narrow fence panels,the type designed to go on top of a wall, as they are fully treated and I couldn't be bothered to rip down and treat thin slats. The posts have holes drilled in the base and are slotted on to 22mm steel bar knocked into the ground which keeps the timber well clear of the ground. I would suggest either some kind of bracket to hold the base off the ground or use class 4 treated and bury the ends.

Attachments

• IMG20220616084257.jpg
    IMG20220616084257.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys. i found an arch that I like but not the price. £400 plus Vat and delivery so £900 or so for the two I need. The joints aren't complex so i think I'm going for the made by me option. And I like the challenge of bending and glueing the curved top; just not sure what wood to use for that
Surely the timber won't cost anywhere near that sum ?

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 0
Did very similar and used 6x1ft trellis panels between standard posts and just created a “ladder” type top using tanalised square spindles. All the timber came from B&Q from memory as it was cheapest and was about £100. Widening it both ways would be easy enough, arches would be a step too far for me but you could laminate some 4x2 on edge and then cut the curves from that. Make an MDF template of your curve and finish with a router and a template bit.

To laminate an arch you'll need the wood to bend fairly easily to the curve you want so 50 x22 mm might do it or you may need to go down to 18 mm. Build a form with a few blocks fixed to a board, cover it with plastic then clamp on the glued strips. Practice first without the glue.

‘Only’ £195 each here. Genoa Arch

Looks like pressure treated softwood, I’d suggest you look locally for some air dried oak or sweet chestnut as these will be durable outdoors without treatment. Or some larch which is semi durable so would ideally do something to isolate it from the ground.

Back