ROS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for a ROS to use as a finishing sander and have come across the Makita BO5012 http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19582&recno=9. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they provide a reasonable finish and what are they like at rougher removal?

I've also had a bit of a look at the Metabo SXE450 Duo but that seems a bit heavy for my needs (2.7kg vs the Makita's 1.2kg). It seems like finishing small stock might be a bit taxing with such a heavy beast?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan
I have the Metabo-it is a truly great sander. Leaves a polished blemish free finish, no hassle. No vibration is felt through the handles and it is so smooth. I recommend it without hesitation!
Sorry, no experience with the Mak, but the Metabo rules! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Cheers Philly

Do you find the metabo heavy to use (especially on small items eg 1 to 3" wide batons) or is it quite manoeuvrable?

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

I have the next model up from that one the 5021 and it is brilliantly smooth and leaves a perfect finish. Was a huge jump up from any / all of the el-sheapo sanders I had before.

Les

Hi Alan,

Like Philly I too have the Metabo. It is a very nice sander. At its size, though, it may not be appropriate if it is the only sander you would own considerng the sizes of wood you mention.

However, on something 1-3" in width I probably would not use an ROS anyway. Often it'll get a couple swipes with a handplane. Much faster than sanding without the dust.

When I do sand something that size, I simply sand by hand, usually using a wood sanding block that is cut to size so a quarter-sheet wraps around it. It is easy to mess up a piece using a powered sander on something that small.

But for pieces a little larger that get sanded, the Metabo is the best sander I've owned. Even smoother running (less vibration) is the Festool ones. It's the cost of those ones, though, that have kept me from spending that much for something that makes a lot of dust :).

MikeW":20rubdta said:
Even smoother running (less vibration) is the Festool ones. It's the cost of those ones, though, that have kept me from spending that much for something that makes a lot of dust :).

Mike, very true the festool ROS is expensive by tied in with a dust extractor there is no dust as long as the whole pad is on the wood. Highly recommended and the finish is perfect.

Waka":2ymtp5mg said:
MikeW":2ymtp5mg said:
Even smoother running (less vibration) is the Festool ones. It's the cost of those ones, though, that have kept me from spending that much for something that makes a lot of dust :).

Mike, very true the festool ROS is expensive by tied in with a dust extractor there is no dust as long as the whole pad is on the wood. Highly recommended and the finish is perfect.

Hi Waka,

Yep, I wouldn't even think of using any type sander without it hooked to my Fein vac. I just meant making dust as its function. As an aside, I thought my Metabo was about the smoothest sander until I used a Festool. They are truly great. One of the other things I like about them is how well balanced they are.

Alan, like Waka mentions no matter which sander you end up purchasing, make sure to use some sort of direct dust extraction.

Hi Alan,

I have the 5012. Likewise I wanted a lightweight palm sander to replace a knackered one and I considered the Metabo Duo et al to be a little on the cumbersome side for small stock.

The 5012 is a cracking little tool, very quiet indeed, comfortable soft rubber grip, and works much more efficiently than a standard orbital palm. It's not too bad for rougher removal (I think it'd be fine for small stock), but clearly not in the same league as a roughing sander because of it's small orbit. That's the great advantage of the Metabo Duo - there's no compromise, as you select the appropriate orbit as required, and that's why I also have one of these

My only beef with Makita is their change from cloth dustbag to disposable bags. The cloth bag on my 9046 works OK for non-toxic, coars-ish dust e.g. roughing down pine. The disposables are are just rubbish - not what Makita should be proud of. I threw it away and connect directly to the vacuum.

Otherwise I highly recommend it. :wink:

Ike

Hi Alan
I have the 5021 advertised on the same page as your link. Smashing piece of kit hardly any vibration and can be used one handed as well. Have used mine for polishing and also with 60 grit stuck on it rips through the wood. But I am a Makita fan.

Back