ROS for finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacms

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am on the market for a ROS as my cheap LIDL one leaves me uncomfortable shaking for several minutes after sanding due to the vibration. Question is which one? I want to mainly use for sanding after planning and so does not need to remove a lot a material fast as I can do that with a plane.

For what I can read the Festool and the Mirka seems to be considered the best for dust extraction and low vibration but the Mirkas seem to have a reputation for failing frequently.

The Eccentric sander ETS 150/3 EQ-Plus 240V seems a good option price wise or would I be better with the ETS EC?

Sanding after planing? I'm confused unless you're just scuffing the surface for a finish. Please can you elaborate on your planing.

I use a hand plane to get things flat and square with a jack plane but the surface finish from it isn't always great with planing marks and the occasional knock of having the pieces sitting for a long time on the bench. So I want a sander to do the final surface finish before applying oil/varnishes and for sading in between coats of these. So I don't need a sander that is able to remove a lot of material as I just to use it as a surface finisher on the workshop

I’m not a pro or anything but recently bought a Festool. Ets 125 req and am finding it easy to use, amazing dust collection and doesn’t shake my bones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest I wasn't considering the 125mm as I thought the price difference to the 150mm isn't that big. However, 125mm is cheaper and the 125mm will be lighter so it does sound a good compromise....hmm more food for thought

I use a metabo duo. 150mm . smooth finish relatively quiet and I usually use with one hand on the level. Variable speed helps to keep the vibration down as well.

misterfish":2w2vth3b said:
I use a DWE6423-GB 125mm - it works well and doesn't suffer from the vibration often found with cheap sanders.

Misterfish
+1 for the Dewalt. I've found it far more comfortable to use for extended periods than other ROSs I've used/owned.

I have the festool 150 ETS EC
The other day a friend used it that has a Bosch....he described the ETS as a real sweet heart and suggested I keep a good eye on it as it might go missing.

I also have the 150 Rotex which arfter a full days use leaves my hands tingling.....with the ETS EC I get no side effects.

The only negative with festool is the price....this is forgotten when you use them.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Someone posted a link to an article describing the usefulness of all the different festool sander on here recently but already I can't find it again. Can anyone point me in the right direction and it may also help the OP
Cheers
Mark

The Bear":2qa5y19d said:
Someone posted a link to an article describing the usefulness of all the different festool sander on here recently but already I can't find it again. Can anyone point me in the right direction and it may also help the OP
Cheers
Mark
Are you thinking about this one https://topcoatreview.com/2017/03/which-festool-sander/?

I hesitate to advise anything on this forum as I know so little, but:
from my limited experience, a surface that's been planed doesn't need much of anything, maybe a quick pass with some very fine grit paper by hand? If you're getting marks left by the edges of the blade, have you tried rounding those edges off the blade and being sure your final passes with the plane are really light (very little blade protruding)?
As for dents in the wood after planing, I tend to be really precious about wood that's been planed to final size (getting it to that point is lots of work for me!), maybe it's just a bit more care that's needed?
Just some thoughts.

I've got an early version of the Metabo dual speed, for for really great power sanding and fine finishing (up to 600g) I use one of these which is quite superb - Rob

woodbloke66":j1dvgv7q said:
I've got an early version of the Metabo dual speed, for for really great power sanding and fine finishing (up to 600g) I use one of these which is quite superb - Rob
I have a new-ish version of the same, but do you use yours to clean up after planing, Rob?

Chris152":12w5ancx said:
woodbloke66":12w5ancx said:
I have a new-ish version of the same, but do you use yours to clean up after planing, Rob?
Depends. If it's a smallish piece then I may do it by hand but generally I use the Metabo on bigger surfaces with coarser grits and then finish off with the Festool - Rob

I have a Mirka Deros, which I’ve had for a few years. I also have a 4” Makita belt sander. I used to use the belt sander a lot however I’ve found that the Mirka is just as effective for ‘serious’ sanding jobs as well as fine sanding making the belt sander rarely used. The Deros is very light, has interchangeable pads (125/150) virtually vibration free and superb dust extraction when used with Abranet.

It’s not broken down, and the three year warranty long since faded into history. I wouldn’t get too excited and out off Mirka due to the occasional report of failures.

The main problem I’ve come across with brushless motor tools is that they suddenly stop working. The fault they exhibit is that they make an effort to start and then stop. This is actually a really easy thing to fix. The problem in virtually all cases is a small magnet that’s usually just glued to the end of the armature has come unstuck. The glue has failed probably due to vibration / over heating. They just need gluing on again. The magnet is used to tell the ‘brains’ the speed the motor is turning / position of the armature.

I’ve fixed a few tools for friends that have brushless motors that have ‘failed’, all sorts of brands, from the most prestigious to the value brands, in all cases except one this was the fault. It’s not just Mirka that can ‘stop’ working.

I actually in a bit of an impulse buy took advantage of the FFX current discount and ordered the Festool ETS 150/3 (non EC). But I am having buyers remorse as when adding a hard pad and the sanding disks it actually ends up being more expensive than the Mirka Deros. And the Deros comes with dual pads, 50 sanding discs and the hose. So hearing people using it for years without problems does not help the remorse

Latest posts

Back