ROS - 180+ grit discs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matkinitice

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Festool ETS 150/5 - I used it today for the first time but think I may be missing a grit, though it doesn't appear anywhere sells anything above 180 grit.

Axminster don't have 220 as an option - not out of stock, not even listed. Even the official Festool site only has one dealer that offers 220 grit, and the website seems ropey so I don't want to place an order at present.

Am I missing something here? I plan on picking up a palm sander, but that seems to jump up to 320, so nothing in between.

Granted I've not finished my sanding tasks so the sander swirls my disappear once I give it a working over on with 180 - but my understanding is you tend to aim for 220. I plan on using Danish Oil as my finish, not a stain so I reckon I'll be fine but curious I'm missing something obvious here.

All my discs are Rubin 2 - which is for woodworkers - the Granat offering seems to hint it's not ideal for raw wood, but even that suffers odd grits.

I have 80, 120, and 180 in my collection.

Rubin is available up to 220. I’ve never had a problem with Granat on bare wood. Granat is available up to 1500.

i have a bunch of abranet, but wonder how it compares to festools rubin 2 / granat offerings? thoughts?

I got abranet from axminster in 180,220and 320

Mirka make superb products so I suspect it compares favourably. I use mirka products whenever possible.

I've found some on Amazon now - Rubin 2 in 220 - my searching failed before.

I guess I've been following the instructions too closely - the manual and their website says Rubin 2. Yet Festool USA state Granat is fine too. Bit confusing but seems to match up with what I've found since posting.

I've found some on Amazon now - Rubin 2 in 220 - my searching failed before.

I guess I've been following the instructions too closely - the manual and their website says Rubin 2. Yet Festool USA state Granat is fine too. Bit confusing but seems to match up with what I've found since posting.
I’ve used Granat for years it’s the one the Festool rep recommended when I bought my RO90

I’ve used Granat for years it’s the one the Festool rep recommended when I bought my RO90

From their site (USA)

"Granat is our most long-lasting and highest performing abrasive and is well suited for nearly all applications, including bare wood, paints, most modern paint systems, VOC clear coats, plastic materials, solid surface materials, acrylics, and composites. Hardened Aluminum Oxide, Synthetic Resin, Closed Coated."

I swear it didn't say this in the manual I have - or the logo thing. I must have missed it, but will give Granat a whirl.

From Axminster:

"Granat abrasive is suitable for use on paints, VOC clear coats, lacquers, plastics, mineral materials, acrylic, repair compounds, epoxy filler and similar materials."

I must have got confused with this - can't check the manual right now but guess it's in there with some cross over.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

From their site (USA)

"Granat is our most long-lasting and highest performing abrasive and is well suited for nearly all applications, including bare wood, paints, most modern paint systems, VOC clear coats, plastic materials, solid surface materials, acrylics, and composites. Hardened Aluminum Oxide, Synthetic Resin, Closed Coated."

I swear it didn't say this in the manual I have - or the logo thing. I must have missed it, but will give Granat a whirl.
I’m sure you will be happy with it, I have to admit when I first started looking at their range of abrasives I found it baffling but I’ve always found their reps very helpful.

Back