Roof support Conservatory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also just noticed that the glazing bars, where they attach to the construction adjoining the roof don't have much overlap. There's going to be quite a weight pressing down on a relatively small cross section of glazing bar. For comparison, look how much overlap there is above the garden end. I also note that whatever it is that attaches to the bottoms of the glazing bars is short. I would have expected it to extend up to the roof bar section and form a flush edge with it. It looks more and more to me that somebody got the dimensions of the roof wrong and have cut the glazing bars as well as the glass short.

When you look at how it is fixed to the wall, it looks like the roofing bars were to short and so they have had to pack it out with all them pieces of timber. Had the roofing bars been longer then there is no reason why a solid length of timber fixed to the house wall using chemi studs would not have done the job neater without those ugly brackets, seeing how it has been packed out makes you realise why those brackets were needed.

Ian makes good points, looking down at the new photo makes me wonder if they measured from the inside edge of the base wall rather than the outside. If you look at the vertical join of the conservatory end to the wall, is there a similar "filler piece", that might confirm Ians theory. It does seem unusual, our conservatory is a different design but the frame to wall is a fairly slim metal beam direct to wall with no extra support brackets.

Maybe you should get them back on site and ask why it has been done that way. I didn't think there was any maximum length for non opening glass panels.
They are coming back on site this week. The maximum size of the panel was the info from the factory. Apparently.

Are there architectural drawings signed off by an engineer for the conservatory? Did you see them and approve before signing the contract to build? How close does the construction follow them? Is this the normal construction shown in their product information/pictures? Will the local building inspector be coming to inspect and approve of the work? Have you doubts about whether it will pass or just dislike the brackets?

The reasons I ask is that here there would have to be plans with an engineers stamp submitted for the building permit, they would have to be followed, any deviations for whatever reasons have to be reported to the inspector and the construction inspected at intervals specified by the inspector. Your rules and regulations are quite a bit different than ours so my questions may not be relevant to your build.

Pete

They are coming back on site this week. The maximum size of the panel was the info from the factory. Apparently.
If that is the case then either the salesman/surveyor who measured the job wasn't aware of this fact or was too interested in closing the sale to earn their commission and hoped that the installers would "make it fit". The end result would certainly appear to favour the latter.

It is different here. When our conservatory was built, c12 years ago, we had a new opening and door in the wall of the house. That opening, and lintel, had to be signed off by local building control. The rest of the job was of no interest to them, the fitters could have built it on sand and used pva glue and elastic bands to hold it all up. They do have to be FENSA approved but that's about energy efficiency for windows and frames. You can sue if it all falls down and kills you, but it's a civil matter not something for regulatory control. Worryingly lax building regulations, lots of self certification, welcome to small government, underresourced and emasculated local authorities.

Back