Roof Insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately the time has come when I need a new roof on the workshop. The existing one is flat and covered in felt which has decided to leak in one corner. there is evidence that this has happened before and because the roof is 30 years old I have decided to replace the felt with the new fibreglass method. I have had this done before and although more expensive than felt it lasts a lot longer and looks quite attractive.

During this refurbishment I am going to take the opportunity of putting insulation between the rafters, the rafters are exposed in the wooshop. My queation is; will I get away with just packing the sheets of insulation in between the rafter and holding this in place with spaced batterns or would it be more prudent from a heat loss perspective to put up plasterboard?

The insulation I shall be using is the same I used for the floor and walls, its 2" thick water resistant extreme insulation.

Cheers

Waka,
If you want to put plasterboard up, I can recommend the foil backed type. it's brilliant at keeping heat in. I have it in everywhere in my bungalow. And it really works. I'm not sure it's good for a garage though unless you have a de humidifier, as plasterboard soaks up the natural moisture in the air especialy in winter if there's not much dry heating.
Why not try t&G water resistant chipboard or a thinner say 1/2 inch painted white, would make the workshop really light & bright.
Hope this helps :D

Back