roof angles help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMarko

Reaction score
Hi All

my wife has asked me to make a bird feeding house and im having trouble working out the roof.

its a 300mm square base and i want the roof to come out 100mm further each side at around 30 degree angle.

Does anyone know what size my triangles should be, and what mitre i should cut on the edges.
i'm having a bit of a mental block, and cant work it out.

Hope you can help!!

thanks in advance :?:

60/120 degrees, depending which face you measure it from.

Why not just draw out the triangle of the roof on a bit of scrap and then offer up and adjust? One minute with a pencil and ruler, then a few seconds with a plane.

MrMarko":330ldt6l said:
Hi All

my wife has asked me to make a bird feeding house and im having trouble working out the roof.

its a 300mm square base and i want the roof to come out 100mm further each side at around 30 degree angle.

Does anyone know what size my triangles should be, and what mitre i should cut on the edges.
i'm having a bit of a mental block, and cant work it out.

Hope you can help!!

thanks in advance :?:

When you say "100mm further" do you mean horizontally or in the plane of the roof?
For 30 degrees tilt of the roof from horizontal then the apex mitre is 60 degrees (30-60-90 triangle)
If you mean horizonttally an extra 100mm beyoond the 150mm of that side of the base then your roof will be 289 long.
If you mean an extra 100mm in the plane of the roof then its 273mm.
100mm overhang each side sounds quite a lot for something only 300mm across?

I'd probably do a full scale drawing like the photo below. This should have all the measurements you need... (I ran out of paper but you get the idea).

5RGkfbZ.jpg

MikeG.":10nwhzd1 said:
60/120 degrees, depending which face you measure it from.

Why not just draw out the triangle of the roof on a bit of scrap and then offer up and adjust? One minute with a pencil and ruler, then a few seconds with a plane.

Mike, would it be 60/150 ? It's 25 years since i measured an angle at school - and i was rubbish at it then, so forgive this if it's a stupid question

I'm interested because i'm building a wendy house for my kids, so need to do this maths fairly soon (in the next few days) - and i've not got a piece of paper big enough to draw it

Paul

MikeG.":11k9naxj said:
No, it's 60 degrees, or (180-60=) 120 degrees. As a plumb cut from the top face it is 60 degrees.

Just looked again at the drawing, thought a bit, and now I understand. Every day is a learning day !
Thanks Mike

Latest posts

Back