Roll Top Bath Ball and Claw Feet Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, my son has picked up a secondhand Glass Fibre Roll Top Bath, it sits on a set of cast Alloy Ball and Claw Feet. Each foot has a screw in adjuster and Ive been given these to free up. However the feet have hollow faces with a couple of grub screws screwed into the sides and I think they probably sit over some sort locating disc maybe screwed to the floor? But Im only guessing this. Has anyone fitted this type of bath and knows for sure what I ought to be looking for?
Steve.

On ours there was just a slot on each foot, presumably to either put a screw and washer into the floor once the bath is in place (impossible to get to with a screwdriver though due to the foot shape) or so you can mark the floor, remove the bath and put a threaded rod into the floor in the appropriate position, replace the bath then add a nut and washer to secure the foot. In the end I did the two back feet by sliding the bath and put a dab of 'no nails' on the front 2 - lifting the bath up and down over threaded rods in the floor was never going to go well. Hasn't moved yet!

Many thanks for that, I thought of using NoNails too but my only concern was thinking it might be nessesary to firmly locate the feet to stop them splaying out under weight?
Steve.

Now thats somthing I hadnt thought about! And explains the design of the adjustable feet,,Ive just taken a photo,,,I wondered about the Grub Screws and realised that they probably attach to a “bobbin” style pad with a groove around its circumference,,and these of course would lock the bath to the floor as well as stopping it moving,,,easy enough to turn up if I had access to a lathe but are they available to buy I wonder,,or perhaps solid blocks of alloy with indents,,,I had been thinking about hardwood locating blocks,,maybe still okay if topped off with heavy gauge close fitting washers?
Steve.

Attachments

• 243128E9-43D2-4CA3-9D21-56356F9D7D1F.jpeg
    243128E9-43D2-4CA3-9D21-56356F9D7D1F.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
With a cast Iron bath there is little chance of movement, so how heavy is this Glass Fibre one? Can you make it move just by bumping into it?

Those feet look like they used to sit onto something already fixed to the floor and then secured by those grubs so preventing it moving, even so the one thing you need to use is a flexy waste like this McAlpine Flexcon2 40mm Flexible Waste Hose

Allows for movement otherwise fixed pipework may fail. They come in various lengths and types, just visit the local plumbers merchant.

Well weight wise its not in the same league as a cast iron bath,,,I had the pleasure of putting a sledge hammer through a pink one just a few weeks ago and carrying the bits down 3 floors,,so yes it really does need to be secured. Thanks for the tip about the waste but I try not to use the flexi ones if I can possibly avoid it on asthetic grounds,,but they are certainly a handy thing if the situation calls for it. Looks like its going to be a trip to see my chum who is a fabricator to see if he's got something that might be a snug fit into the feet and see where we go from there. I think its highly unlikely I will find direct replacements for the originals.
Steve.

but I try not to use the flexi ones if I can possibly avoid it on asthetic grounds,
I think that all depends on location and viewing angle, plus the size of the room. With mine I would have to get down and look underneath from an angle. it is just four inches long. Had it been a long waste run then yes a chrome pipe or such which provides the movement due to its length between bath and end point.

There are lots of places on e bay that will supply metal discs in various sizes thicknesses and materials if these would do the job. Like Spectric I have only had experience with the cast iron ones which weigh so much they aren't going anyhere.

Latest posts

Back