Roll pins/ slotted spring pins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
... they are called both and this hasn't made it easier for me to search for them. :(

I need 4; for 8mm holes, 55mm in length and another 4, 5mm to fit inside the 8mms. Spring steel rather than stainless.

The only places I can find on line that do them this big are engineering companies that want to sell me boxes of 250 for £30 +VAT :roll:

Any one got any suggestions of anywhere that might do such things loose? Or at least in much smaller quantities?

Just to clarify; these little beggers:

rollpin.jpg

Not totally sure, but what you describe sounds as a spirol pin. Sparex does these in minimum 10 quantities: http://v2.gb.sparex.com/SearchResults.a ... ionID=8015

They also do roll pins with a min. qty. of 10. (Just look around where the link takes you)

I obviously have no idea how they are to buy from in the UK, i have a Norwegian importer which gave me the link when i was looking for something.

Otherwise, some of the model engineer firms may be able to help? ARC eurotrade springs to mind.

Try http://www.emkaysupplies.co.uk - they supply fasteners in small quantities (they'll sell you one grubscrew if that's all you need!). I've used them in the past and found them very good. Not cheap, but you get just the quantity you need. They stock spring pins, both 8mm and 5mm - not sure about exact lengths, though.

Thanks for all the help guys - I spent a long time on ebay the other day searching ... grrrrrr...

Have to be the right length though - can't have 'em clashing with my rack gears - looks like an unusual size. I'll have to do some enquiring. Could always do a bit of creative grinding on 60s though I s'pose ..

Cut off disk in a dremel should get rid of that 5mm.

Pete

Got various sizes at work, I can have a look tomorrow, might be something useful in me box....

Might I ask why you want ones to go inside of the larger ones?

I've always known them as roll pins btw.

Thanks folks. I'll check 'em all out.

Hitch - I want the strongest possible pin for the width. I have looked at the spirol pins, but then saw the nifty idea suggested that you can put one inside the other with their slots in different places.
Now I've looked at all the kindly provided possibilities, I may go to 10mm width. The only drawback with this is that I have to drill partially into the shaft in situ' and for this I have to do it with a hand drill :cry: which I am dreading and would rather do 8mm than 10, even though there is room for 10. I shall just have to be brave.

Hi, Richard

Does the pin have to go all the way through? could you use a pin from each side? leaving a gap in the middle or two different lenghts to get the correct width.

Pete

Hi Pete

I think I'd rather go all the way through with the continuous pin(s). I can get 10 x 60 and grind them to length no probs.... I hope.

I must get some photos took and resurrect the thread I started about it all those years ago - "The Thing in the Garage" in the Projects Dpt. The reason it has been on hold for so long is that I have been trying all this time to find a way to get the shaft with the gears on slotted with a key way. I've had to give up on this as all the small firms and buddies I know don't have enough room to do it and all the big profeshes want silly money so it's going to be a DIY with the pins.

Got some 8 x 55mm ones, and some that fit inside, but them are only about 40mm long..... Let me know if you want them....

Thanks very much for that Hitch but as I said, I think I will go for 10mm - it would put my mind at rest to use the strongest I can. The rest of the set up is so sturdy these pins will be the weak point whatever I do so the wider the better.
I'll get some photos up on the thread soon so you can see what I'm rambling on about. Thanks again.

Back