Rockler Sure-Loc mitre gauge review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Received one of these a couple of weeks ago - I was really a little worried when I ordered it as all reviews praised it but they were only in mags; no user reviews
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5717

In-Track.jpg

I decided to go for this one in place of the Incra, Osbourne or other competition as it is considerably cheaper whilst giving the same accuracy.
The second reason was the length of the track they sell at Rockler. 38" rather than the more common 32 or 34" and my router table is 38" wide!

Track.jpg

Finally, I also rather liked the width adjustment on the mitre bar as it adjusts along the entire length rather than in points such as when the place small adjuster screws in the side of the bar or the eccentric washers that some use. This is much better when feeding a larger piece of wood into the cutter with the bar extended out of the slot at the start of the cut

Bar_width.gif

The angular locking is derived from interlocking teeth cast into the bar and the mitre head. These give an angular resolution of 1.5 degrees which struck me as odd (why not 1 degree?) but works fine and is not a problem.

Teeth.jpg

Once I had installed it, I checked the angles against my magnified protractor with 5 minutes of a degree resolution. Spot on :shock: I checked at usual set angles such as 45, 90, 22.5 etc. and all were within 5 minutes of a degree :D

Check_Angle.jpg

Finally, I decided not to go for thee aluminium extrusion fence as I will use it in a router table and do not need that length. Why waste money? I knocked up an oak fence in 15 minutes that works fine and is the right size for the router table.

My_extension.jpg

MONEY
Well, I paid for cheapest delivery which was by snail and it took about 6 weeks to arrive but the postage cost was nice and cheap at £10

I got hit for import duty at £12.

Total cost to me was under £75 including the mitre track which is a huge saving on the equivalent Incra mitre gauge of similar spec.

Overall, I am very impressed and pleased with it.

Looks very snazzy; like the colour. (Sorry, that's the only feature that strikes the neanderthal mind. :oops: )

Tony":3v4sp5zr said:
...all were within 5 minutes of a degree :D
So when the clocks go back will that make them within an hour and 5 minutes of a degree...? :-k

I duck, I run, I get my coat on the way out. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hadn't realised it would be so inaccurate for half the year :roll:

It looks the business, Tony. Thanks for telling us about it.

Errrrr..... have you used it to make anything yet? Another jig, possibly ;) ?

Gill

Tony,
Yes, bad news mate. Alf is right, that mitre gauge is only a summertime gauge. With the error you already measured, it is going to be 65 minutes or over a degree out until the clocks go forward. I think the winterised gauges are red IIRC..

Gill":1vqkzt6p said:
It looks the business, Tony. Thanks for telling us about it.

Errrrr..... have you used it to make anything yet? Another jig, possibly ;) ?

Gill

cheeky :lol: :lol:

cut some slots across some drawer sides to hold the back in place and a a few tenons which are what I really needed one for

Tony

Looks a nice piece of kit, thanks for the review. I really need to do something similar for my RT, just haven't got around to it yet, might have to follow your lead with the rockler.

Tony":b1931n2d said:
These give an angular resolution of 1.5 degrees which struck me as odd (why not 1 degree?)
Presumably this is so that you can set it to the standard 22.5 degrees. I would guess that with the system it uses, it would be quite difficult to find the space to put in additional stops for 22.5 degrees if they had set the resolution to 1 degree. Annoying though IMO - what if you want 20 degrees, or 40? I guess being half a degree out is no big deal.

Anyway, thanks for the review - food for thought. If Rutlands have a 20% off everything sale in January again, I might go for the Incra 1000 which would work out at £80... or I might follow in your footsteps and get the Rockler. If I get the Incra I'll do a little comparative review.

Cheers,
Neil

Latest posts

Back