Rocking Horse - 6 years from planning to reality

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it is:
You look at a block of wood, and then chip away all the bits that aren't part of a horse. :mrgreen:

Well, I know it isn't that easy... really... :D

That's a nice pair of horses Woody. Smart work indeed. I like the dappling too.

regards
John :)

Thanks John,

I hadn't done any dappling before..or since for that matter. I just followed the instructions, having had a play on a spare bit of wood. When you say carve away the bit's that are not horse you are pretty much right. I found that I would carve some bits away and the horse would start to take shape and really I wasn't being bold enough to get the proper effect I had to dig in and be braver. The smaller one is lime wood by the way very easy to carve but very soft so I used a cellulose sanding sealer on it which toughened it up no end.
When I retire I may make another if I ever get a commision that is.
Alan

I shouldn't wait until you retire Woody. You'll never find the time. I left it, and now it's too late. In the middle of reorganising my shop, (Probably for the last time), I now realise I don't have the energy I once had. The old saying, the spirit is strong but the body is weakening, is true! :)

John :wink:

Woody,
Beautiful work, funny thing is, i doubt this is the last i'll make, i have three daughters. So i recon i'll be making at least two more in a the next 10 years.
I did plan making the simple horse as in your wood version, but the more i thought of it, i thought, if your going to do it, you might as well do it properly. I then got above my station and thought of some of the great sculptures and was thinking how to do each of the muscles. Thats when i realised i was being a ., just make it look real enough, or KIS Keep It Simple!.

The kids named my horse Woody by the way :) after toy story. He's now an extended member of the family. The only thing i've ever made that the kids think of that isnt furniture. Wonderful!

Next time i think i'll do all the metal work myself. The sadlewas build by a craftsman in Dovon, wonderful piece of work..

My girls called the small one Joshua, Joshy for short. I don't know what the bigger one got named as it was given to my niece. My 22 year old daughter still sits on Joshy with her feet on the floor, that makes Joshy 15 years old I guess.
The saddle kit came from Anthony dews workshop. I am very impressed with your supplier but you need a big budget for them.
I don't know if I would tackle the ironwork myself probably not. One of the things I did do was to press in Oilite bronze bushes into the oak rails for the irons to run in. No wear or squeak, I put them on kitchen paper in the oven to release excess oil so it didn't soak the oak.

Regards Alan

Fantastic, this is why i made one, to watch it grow with the children. It brings a smile to your face, especially when they then show it to there friends. I looked at the saddle as an investment too, i could have got the nail on versions, but i thought. I wanted it to be the business, so yes, i've put off the saddle until i had the funds. The saddle costs just as much as the wood, actually the hair, metal and saddle were more than the wood, new tools to do it etc.

Mine did squeek so i made a nylon bearer. Not a peep from it now. Got the nylon from B&Q for a £1 or so. I would relook at that bit again next time and maybe come up with something more sophisticated.

Back