Rocking Chair Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Here we go again! Last time, I left you here http://chrisknight.info/woodwork/rocking_chair/rocking_chair_13.htm now you can move on to see what has happened since.

I wanted a challenge and this chair is providing it in spades. I am just coming to realise how subtle all the business with curves really is. So much so, I might say that I have booked myself on a carving course later this year. I really want to learn how to make curved surfaces with traditional edged tools that convey a sense of decisiveness and yet are still sensuous.

At present I am using anything at all that I can lay my hands on to do what I think I believe is needed. Hal's instructions are pretty clear but I guess I am still pretty timid when it comes to using say the angle grinder and I find it very difficult to get a good clean curved cut without lots of faffing about. I have been looking for a tool like a spokeshave with a very small radius. Maybe Alf can help if she reads this. What I need is a sort of old-fashioned potato peeler in high carbon steel!

Hi Chris
Fantastic as always.
Your attention to detail is a credit to you.
You are a real CRAFTSMAN in the true meaning of the word.
Excellent

John

Chris,

Wow. I couldn't agree more with your comment about how much thought has gone into the design; your step-by-step pics really illustrate the attention to detail from Hal Taylor, and that of yourself making it. It's really looking the business now. 8) Oh, and 20/10 for bravery in using the angle grinder on it at all, if you ask me! :shock:

The only production metal shave I can think of that comes close to your requirement would be the Millers Falls #1 cigar shave, but even that may be too large a radius perhaps? There was a guy called Tim Kelly making reproductions, but the last I heard (Feb this year) on the Old Tool List was that he'd disappeared from the scene. One galoot has made his own which will cope with a 1/2" radius. :shock: How's your metal working? :? Maybe one of those tiny boxwood shaves would manage it?

Cheers, Alf

Chris
This is just superb in every way.
The quality of the photo-walk-thru, the quality of the woodworking and the quality of the project are outstanding. Your attention to detail is going to make this piece such a treasure. The curved transitions are looking effortless. And you're right about the eye catching every imperfection, and the finish will emphasize it - but by the looks of it, you won't have that problem.
I'm so impressed how you spend time testing different glues for different types of joint and grain orientation. It is a fantastic resource for us all. Thank you for sharing it.

Looks like it's nearly there! Do you know already what finish it will have?

P.S. Got to love those Bogg's! I have the curved bottom one and find it's a treat to use.

Hi Chris. Beautiful work there!! Thats some serious man-hours of carving/shaping gone into that!! 8)

Just something that might help short-term til you get the carving course..

http://www.expressplus.trdistsupport.com/disc_04.php?az=73992372

The Roloc discs simply twist into the holder, quick and easy!! :wink: Plenty of choice on grit sizes too.

I got one of these as we use them in work.Smaller than the old friend, the A/G but used in a power drill they are very effective in tight spaces. Still gotta be careful for accidental lumps taken out where they are not wanted!! Didn't find a UK supplier but if you are interested I can find out in work who we order from and let you know.

Ta muchly

Gary

Thanks very much for the encouragement folks, it really helps!

Alf, yes, that is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for - many thanks indeed. I have emailed the website but it appears to be a store front for various vendors and I am not sure if it is actually available - will find out soon I guess.

Gary, thanks for the pointer to those Roloc discs they look potentially useful. I'd be interested to know where your workplace gets them indeed.

Aragorn, I am not absolutely certain about finish but I think it is most likely going to be an oil finish. That way the finish can be renewed fairly easily and I also think that it will probably suit the wood best.

Hi Chris

Every time you post an update I am in awe of the work that you have done. You carry us with us every step of the way, through all the trials and tribulations.

It is just so beautiful, I can't wait for the next instalment.

Well done.

Cheers
Neil

Chris,
Yes, ditto what Neil said-that' the way to justify new tools to the Missus! :D
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

Chris
Very inspiring work - I also love the way you've written the web page - very relaxed readable format!
Altogether I reckon it's an excellent idea to stop and take pictures like you have done. Any forced breaks like that probably prevent silly mistakes along the way. May have to try it myself!
Look forward to seeing further developments.
Cheers
Gidon

Yeah, you already managed to get a TS4010 out of it :shock:. Not bad me thinks, and as it's for your daughter, you can justify absolutely any new purchases you need to SWMBO. Quick, get the entire line of "Veritas" any remaining LN, you could probably slip in a Karl Holtey without 'er indoors noticing :shock:

Adam :lol:

Adam,
Yes this has been a blinder for new gear! (TS 4010, disc and bobbin sanders and spokeshaves principally, with a few odds and ends like an angle gauge and drill bits that I did not have).

I thought about a Holtey but his cheapest is now £2650 and I reckon that is a bit rich for something I wouldn't use at all on this project. Perhaps a bombé chest would do the trick for that?

waterhead37":1lbcbwwx said:
I thought about a Holtey but his cheapest is now £2650 and I reckon that is a bit rich for something I wouldn't use at all on this project.
This is why it's so important to think through all aspects of a project before you start it.
Face it, Chris. You blew it. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Surprised Chris can bear to appear in public having so totally fumbled this opportunity to acquire a tool... :(

Latest posts

Back