Rocking Chair update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
For those intrepid readers who have kept up with the saga so far, there is a new installment. The last page you may have read was:- http://chrisknight.info/woodwork/rocking_chair/rocking_chair_9.htm and you can get to the new pages from there.

I have had a bit of a hiatus - what with rearranging my small workshop to receive the new Scheppach TS 4010 saw and as you will read if you go to the story, in trying out a bunch of glues that I am happy with but for the moment it's all systems go.

My creation is now starting to resemble a chair and I have become an expert jig builder, angle grinder wielder and spokeshave master in the process of getting it this far. I have even started to think about what I will do differently on the next one.. and Pride cometh before something or other?

Chris,

Interesting, as always. Excellent.

Rgds

Noel

Chris,

That is really taking shape. :D

Could you show a bit more detail of the jig for router for the curves on the legs, I am struggling on how its used :oops:

Chris, that is one hell of a chair your fashioning

Woodwork becomes an 'ology' @ that level 8)

Chris,

Fascinating and daunting in equal parts! :D You're getting really good at the tool posing too. :wink: Interesting that the Balcotan gave the best result; I'm pretty sure John Brown (chairmaker, but formerly a boat builder I believe, which may account for his knowledge of it?) was/is a big advocate of it but somehow the Tuit never appeared so I haven't tried it myself. (And no, I'm not going to make such a chair as yours just to give me the excuse. :shock: )

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the comments guys, it really is encouraging when people do take the trouble to drop a line.

Dave, Re the special fixture, I am afraid I have no picture of it in use and now with the legs attached to the seat, there won't be one until the next chair! In any event, the concept is simply that by raising the router bit in the air so to speak, I can move the leg being routed through more angles than if the bit were simply poking up through the router table - basically being able to approach the bit at angles above or below the horizontal - to which a router table confines one.

I did need a router collet extension to do this, discovering in the process that collet extenders are a great way to discover which of your router bits are not perfectly balanced - it vibrates a lot in use with the Oldham Viper bit I am using in the picture - they really are the B&Q bits of the USA.

Another good installment there fella......although I'm not too sure about that router jig thing........looks pretty dangerous to me!!

SimonA

Back