Robland SD510 planer / thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn

Reaction score
Hi All,
this is my first post.
I currently have a MKII hammer C3-31, i am looking at getting seprate machines and selling it eventually.
A Robland SD510 planer thicknesser has come to my attention, it is a 2008 model with 7.5hp motor, power rise and fall, digital display, 4 knife block and a few thicknesser speeds, 2m long planing bed.
Has anyone had any experance of these machines? or any other type of modern roblands. What are they like for build quality? setting up time? and finishing quality?
I was supprised how well my hammer C3-31's planer thicknesser finishes dry oak (its only single phase 3 knife block). if the finish is the same as this i would be happy, i am changing it for a wider, longer bed and stand alone machine which can thickness faster.
Or can anyone else advise of a good quality planer thicknesser for about £4000.
many thanks for you time, and once i get set up i will undoubtably be asking for hints and tips on various topics.
John Case

Hi, I just read your post, as I'm looking to get a combination machine and am trying to decide between Robland and Hammer.

I've yet to go see either, but reading the web-reviews (formal and informal), I don't think there is a lot between these two brands, though people speak very highly of the Hammer.

Just wondering if you are thinking of selling your Hammer C3 31?! Cheeky question, but just thought I'd ask!

thanks

Hi,
i am definatley going to sell my C3-31 once i get my planer, i will be selling it to buy a spindle moulder, if you are intrested let me know, its a standard model without the outrigger, single phase, very good condition built in 2006 and i was looking for about £2900 ish.
iv heard that hammers new spiral cutter heads give a better finish than the felder AD range, i would have bought a new Hammer 410mm wide machine but i have ended up with a lot of wide oak and sweet chessnut boards that i am drying which is why i want a wide bed. cant wait to get them dry and start using them
john

Different machine but I had a Robland E300 panel saw from new. What a pile of rubbish, it would go out of square if a fly landed on it. the whole thing twisted if you put a heavy board on it, etc etc. Now have an Altendorf.
You get what you pay for, I'd never have anything Robland again.

hi bob,
firstly can i say WOW i just had a nosey on your website and your work is amazing. i'm not a joiner by trade i have a building company and am getting more and more into joinery and want to be able to make some furniture as a hobby / passtime (mainly as i really fancy it and to slow me down a bit and take my time over it) Can i just ask from a technical view, on the large table on your website, how did you join the boards to each other on the top? PS the side board with the boat on is perfect.
thanks for the advice about the robland, i am sort of talking myself into it a bit as on paper it looks a really good bit of kit for the money, it has a 7.5hp motor and it weights 900kg so i would have thought it would not be too 'light weight' in your opinion do you think it was the main body of the machine that was sub-standard or the outrigger that was flimsey?
can i ask what sort of planer / thicknesser you guys use? and how you find it.
Thanks for your time, John

Hi, thanks for responding to my post. I'd like to talk to you about your Hammer - perhaps you could ring me.

We run a bed and breakfast called Abbots Lodge, based in Herefordshire. If you search google for that, you should find it, and on there is my telephone and email contact. Perhaps I can ask you to either ring me, or email me with your number, so I can ring you. This forum doesn't seem to allow me to post my email address (unless I'm being dumb!!).

If you can email me with your number, I'll call you if that's okay. Otherwise, of course, I'm happy for you to call me, and can email you my number when I receive your email.

Look forward to speaking.

thanks, John

The robland machines are a decent machine for the money certainly no better or worse than scm/griggio but not as good as a wadkin/dominion.

Yes the panel saws do go out of square but its easy to re-adjust.
one of roblands weak points is the switch gear seems to be a bit fragile (if you have someone who likes to wallop the estops the switchs wont last long. But again its easy to put right with stronger switchs for little cost.

If you look at it on a cost basis the robland is one of the cheeper industrial brands out there unless you want to take your chances with chinese imports. Replacement parts are reasonable priced (last weeki had a rip fence casting for a nz 3200 panel saw £130)

i think i know what you mean by the estops, they do look a little 'plasticy' if it is industrial built it would be more than fine for me as it wont get a lot of stck. are there any other makes of planer you would recommend for simlar cost second hand? i dont really want someting as old as a dominion / wadkin simply due to setup times and as far as i am aware they only have a fixed ruler that extends as the thicknesser bed is wound up / down and i prefer to have a display such as the felder type hand wheel with a dial or obviously the LCD readout on the robland, though am not too fussed about the LCD as it is another think to go wrong.
thanks, john

tjwoodms":3v4x7wlz said:
The robland machines are a decent machine for the money certainly no better or worse than scm/griggio but not as good as a wadkin/dominion.

Yes the panel saws do go out of square but its easy to re-adjust.
one of roblands weak points is the switch gear seems to be a bit fragile (if you have someone who likes to wallop the estops the switchs wont last long. But again its easy to put right with stronger switchs for little cost.

If you look at it on a cost basis the robland is one of the cheeper industrial brands out there unless you want to take your chances with chinese imports. Replacement parts are reasonable priced (last weeki had a rip fence casting for a nz 3200 panel saw £130)

the wadkin BTS 500/630 had a mechanical counter that was accurate as well as powered rise/fall you can get a good one for between 3-4k. These are far stronger than the robland. And give a really good finish.

but if you want the didital read out it narrows your options as not many manufacturers fit them as standard.
I've not seen any problems with the display on the roband. But on some machines the LCD's start to play up when the machine bearings start to wear (the vibration can damage the PCB) there is also more than just the screen to go wrong with this set up i.e a encoder, transformer and a few other bits and pieces. None of these items are difficalt to fit and dont cost the earth.

by estop i mean emergency stop switch.

thanks for the advice tim, i'll have a look into the wadkin's, i am not bothered about a digital LCD readout, just any sort of counter that is accurate, as you suggested like on the BTS's would be fine.
I have just looked on your website and realised that you are a service engineer, is there anything to watch out for on the robland sd510 that you know of?
in your opinion what is the better machine a felder AD741 or the robland SD510?
thank you very much for your advice and time it is much appreciated.
John

you can easily retrofit a digital read out to most thicknessers for around £50. I fitted one to my startrite sd300 and wouldn't be without it.

Latest posts

Back