Robert Sorby, where to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife

Established Member
Reaction score
For some time I've wanted to replace my Heinz variety set of chisels, it's a real bitsa set with some of my father's old ones, car boot and eBay bargains, and a few new ones that I've bought myself.

Of them all my favourites are the pair of Sorby Gilt Edge 510s that I bought last year, I'd like to complete the set and was just wondering if anywhere has an offer on these at the moment?

And to store them in I'm also looking for a decent head-to-tail leather chisel roll, like the ones that Axminster no longer appear to do?

On a similar subject I'd also like to replace a couple of odd block planes that I've made do with for some time, any recommendations for a Standard and a Low Angle block plane that won't break the bank? I don't mean cheap-cheap, but something a bit better than those Rider ones that Axminster sell (bought two and sent them back!), but less expensive than say Lie-Nielsen, nice though they are.

Oh yes, I've not seen that brand of plane before but it does look pretty good, and in the price range I had in mind, do you have any experience of them or know where I can find reviews?

I must say the Ashley Iles chisels they have look tempting too, I have a couple of the larger ones that I'm very pleased with, didn't think of them for some reason.

There's a review sticky at the top of this section.

QS planes from Workshop Heaven get good reviews. Matthew also sells Narex chisels which are supposed to be good. AI's are good too if you want to buy British?

Rod

I'm not dead set on British Rob, although it would be nice. I've been looking at a few brands though and the Swiss-made Pfeil ones that CHT sell look very good too, and around the same price as the Sorbys and Ashley Iles, decisions decisions!

Having already got a couple of both the AI and RS chisels I'll probably go for one or the other, the AIs come in slightly cheaper, and if you buy the set of 6 they come in a nice suede roll too. I don't think there's much to choose between them for quality, and I find both very nice to use.

Hi

Robert Sorby 'absorb' the VAT if you buy at a show - all my tooling is Sorby, (100+ tools), never had a problem :D

Regards Mick

Hi
I've no experience of Sorby chisels, but I have a set of AI bevel edge chisels and a set of their dovetail chisels. As Rod says, they are sold by Workshop Heaven (Matthew gives excellent service BTW). The AIs take a very good edge and are excellent value for money.
Les

Yes I'm definitely veering towards the AI's now that I've thought about it properly, I like the 1.5" and 2" ones that I already have, and with the set of six I'll have a nice range of sizes, just a shame all eight won't fit in the roll.

The thing I really like about the Sorby 510's, which I think may give them a slight edge, is the tapered ferrules which make them very comfortable to use, other than that I really don't think there's anything to choose between the two.

I'll sleep on it tonight.

Back