Robert Sorby captive ring tool - how to make it work!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Sorby captive ring tool. I have downloaded the instructions and given the cutters a sharpen on a credit card diamond file but l cannot for the life of me get it to cut. It burns the wood rather that cuts it and l don't know what I'm doing wrong. Hoping that there is someone else out there who has one and can put me right. Have looked on u tube where there are millions (it seems) videos on woodturning but l cannot find a single one of someone using this tool.
Thanks in advance - this forum has never let me down yet.
Patrick

Attachments

• 20201124_092225.jpg
    20201124_092225.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 42
I've heard of this problem before with this tool. The issue is that there is no real cutting edge on the tool. It's just a C shape cutter with a square edge which makes it very hard to create the negative rake between the tool and wood when using it. A captive ring tool with a ground negative rake solves that problem but if you do that with the Sorby one you alter the size of the captive ring. IMHO it's a poorly designed tool.
The solution is to make your own captive ring tool from an Allen key.:)

Use a parting tool to cut a grove either side of the ring you want to form. Then round over the outside of the ring and use the tool for the inner and to part off.

I have one and I have only used it once.
I did most of the cut with a fine skew and then used the tool as a scraper, to shape and tidy up the ring surface. Whilst slowly creeping up on the rear to break away the ring.

Thanks for the advice - how strange that nobody has come on the forum with any positive comments about this tool - yet if you are looking to buy one new the reviews are 4 and 5 stars! Something don't add up.

I wasn't being negative, and will use it again if I do more captive rings. I was just pointing out I am no expert. It only cost me the price of the actual tip as I made my own handle and shaft.

Back