• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Robert Sorby captive ring tool - how to make it work!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Croyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Sorby captive ring tool. I have downloaded the instructions and given the cutters a sharpen on a credit card diamond file but l cannot for the life of me get it to cut. It burns the wood rather that cuts it and l don't know what I'm doing wrong. Hoping that there is someone else out there who has one and can put me right. Have looked on u tube where there are millions (it seems) videos on woodturning but l cannot find a single one of someone using this tool.
Thanks in advance - this forum has never let me down yet.
Patrick

Attachments

Mark Hancock

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this problem before with this tool. The issue is that there is no real cutting edge on the tool. It's just a C shape cutter with a square edge which makes it very hard to create the negative rake between the tool and wood when using it. A captive ring tool with a ground negative rake solves that problem but if you do that with the Sorby one you alter the size of the captive ring. IMHO it's a poorly designed tool.
The solution is to make your own captive ring tool from an Allen key.:)

Lignafera

Reaction score
Use a parting tool to cut a grove either side of the ring you want to form. Then round over the outside of the ring and use the tool for the inner and to part off.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have one and I have only used it once.
I did most of the cut with a fine skew and then used the tool as a scraper, to shape and tidy up the ring surface. Whilst slowly creeping up on the rear to break away the ring.

Croyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - how strange that nobody has come on the forum with any positive comments about this tool - yet if you are looking to buy one new the reviews are 4 and 5 stars! Something don't add up.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I wasn't being negative, and will use it again if I do more captive rings. I was just pointing out I am no expert. It only cost me the price of the actual tip as I made my own handle and shaft.

Latest posts