Robert Sorby 447 Deluxe vs. Storme

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Axminster / perform turning chisels that I have had no success at all sharpening, so want to put a jig system on my Xmas list. Something like a Tormek is not on the table, but might be able to pool presents to get a 447 or Storme to go with my bench grinder. The question is, which one?

Si

If you have the room for a Axminster Storm setup I would advise that over the sorby

You need room to push the arms in for short chisels without hitting the wall behind

:wink:

I have tried the sorby on several occasions and dont like it. So from personal preference I would go for the storme or craft supllies version HERE and HERE The only difference between the two is the craft supplies doesnt have the bit for skew chisels but I find them easy to do free hand any way.

With regards to the long bar I have cut that down as I find it easier to use the table for straight across grinds on gouges rather then pulling the bar out and resting the handle in it. Cutting it down also means you dont need a lot of room behind the grinder.

john

Nobody else care to comment?
The shortage of replies is probably because not many people will have used both.
The Storme system looks very similar to the Oneway Wolverine setup which I have. I also used to have the Sorby fingernail profiler included with the 447. On that basis, I`d say the Storme looks to be a lot more versatile, allowing for a greater range of adjustments and setup options (although I`m only going by the illustration on the Axminster site, having never actually seen one in reality.) You need something sturdy and easy to adjust, which the Sorby and Wolverine are - not sure about the storme.
Hope this helps.

Ian

I used the Sorby jig for several years, I still have it atached to my bench but I don't use it much any more. My sharpening setup now consists of a Scheppach wet grinder and dry grinder so it made sense to ue the Tormek jigs on both. The Sorby fingernail jig is effectively the same thing as the Tormek one anyway so there was no great change there. Using the Tormek mount bar means I can now use any of their jigs on either the wet or dry grinder.

If you do decide to go for the Sorby, I would suggest you add the slotted table too. The larger area helps with grinding skews. scrapers etc. I don't know why Sorby don't include this as part of the kit.

I've never used the Storme jig but it looks pretty comprehensive.

Thanks Dave, I will most likely take you up on that. Give me a shout one evening and I will pop in on the way home.

Si.

I looked into this in some depth a while ago and came to the conclusion that the Storme is the better value for money, as it comes with two "bases" (unlike the Wolverine), so you can easily switch from one wheel to another. The Sorby requires you to have two basic jigs (446 I think) at extra cost so you can move the conversion parts from one side to the other or faff around switching the whole jig from one side to the other.

The Wolverine does come with two bases, (at least mine did), enabling you to swap the jigs from wheel to wheel at will. It`s also bomb-proof - though not necessarily foolproof! :?

Ian

Silverbirch":7fzr1vc0 said:
The Wolverine does come with two bases, (at least mine did), enabling you to swap the jigs from wheel to wheel at will. It`s also bomb-proof - though not necessarily foolproof! :?

Ian

My mistake, I must have been looking through my left eye (the one that doesn't work properly)! :roll:

Back