Robert Sorby 447 deluxe jig set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So, as its a big milestone coming up (my 40th 😳) mum decided to buy me the RS 447 deluxe jig set despite my objections, I've been waiting for Yandles to have it in stock as they sell it for £110 as apposed to everywhere else I've seen its £150+ but she wouldn't listen and ordered it while we were chatting on the phone Friday afternoon, it arrived today and I have to say it's beautifully made, the instructions seem very basic, not sure if that's good or not but will find out I guess when I set it up, my bench grinder is an Axminster craft 8" with a 50mm wide wheel on one side which will allow me to upgrade to a CBN wheel eventually, can anyone recommend any YouTube vids for setting it up? I'm going to also buy a few of the extras so I can do my screws and scrapers.
20220425_194705.jpg
20220425_195343.jpg

Been using mine for best part of twenty years, great bit of kit.

Attachments

• Sharpening rig.jpg
    Sharpening rig.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Gouge.jpg
    Gouge.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 16
Although it isn't for this jig specifically, take a look at 'Lyle on sharpening' on YouTube. He gives a really clear explanation of using a jig of this type. I've got an old Axminster one that does the same job (but doesn't look so well put together) and really struggled to get good results until I saw that video

Went out to have a look at setting up the 447 but it seems the instructions are geared towards a 6" wheel not an 8" wheel so I'm a little confused 🤪
20220426_152011.jpg
20220426_151954.jpg

The instructions say 135mm from worktop to the centre of wheel, but as mine is an 8" wheel it is 165mm from worktop to centre, am I right to think then that I need to put 30mm of packing under the 447jig so that it's base is 135mm below the centre of the wheel? If I try set it at the same level as the grinder then it ends up being too close to the grinder in order to get the angle I need on the gouge.

There are instructions in this Sorby video. They don't mention the size of the grinder so may possibly be universal
-
The 446 page says it is adjustable for height and so can be used in conjunction with a 6", 7" or 8" bench grinder
- Universal Sharpening System
The 447 page doesn't mention anything about size but as it uses the same base, presumably the setting up of the 446 & 447 would be the same
- Deluxe Universal Sharpening System

Try asking Sorby for the definitive answer. I would also ask them to update both their instructions & website.
[email protected]
Tel: +44 (0) 114 225 0700

There are instructions in this Sorby video. They don't mention the size of the grinder so may possibly be universal
-
The 446 page says it is adjustable for height and so can be used in conjunction with a 6", 7" or 8" bench grinder
- Universal Sharpening System
The 447 page doesn't mention anything about size but as it uses the same base, presumably the setting up of the 446 & 447 would be the same
- Deluxe Universal Sharpening System

Try asking Sorby for the definitive answer. I would also ask them to update both their instructions & website.
[email protected]
Tel: +44 (0) 114 225 0700

Thanks Rob, I've watched that video several times, the issue I have is that it's the base that has the pivoting part for sharpening bowl gouges, the adjustable table is for roughing gouges, skews and scrapers, it's the pivoting part that needs to be a set distance in order to get the right angles. I'll send RS an email later today and ask them.

Looks like you just need a packer under the jig and you'll be sorted. The wheel diameter will change as you use it so the jig can allow for different sizes.

Looks like you just need a packer under the jig and you'll be sorted. The wheel diameter will change as you use it so the jig can allow for different sizes.
Thats my thinking but as the instructions aren't super clear and would rather get it right first time.

So I emailed Robert SSorbythis afternoon then went out to continue rearranging my makerspace and decided to bolt the bench grinder down ready to install the 447 system, I kept looking at the instructions and the more I looked the more I became convinced that I (and a few of you) am right in thinking I need to raise the 447 so that it's base is 135mm below the centre of the wheel, so I found a couple pieces of ply and cut them up, the closest I could get was 28mm rather than 30mm but I figure 2mm won't hurt and if need be I can find some washers to pack out that 2mm, once I had it all in place I mounted my bowl gouge and went to it, I had to regrind the profile a little but the edge was amazingly sharp, I absolutely love the 447 system, now to buy the extras so I can sharpen the rest of my tools.
20220427_182010.jpg

Back