Robert Sorby - 3 CROWNS logo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldwartools

Reaction score
Robert Sorby (and all the other Sorby dynasty spin offs) often leaves me going round in circles trying to date various hand tools (usually chisels !!)

Regarding this early looking Robert Sorby saw on eBay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132098488275? ... 1555.l2649

It features 3 CROWNS, as well as the more familiar Maltese Cross and Kangaroo Brand. I note that the medallion reads "Corporate Brand Kangaroo" and not "Trade Mark Kangaroo". Where do you start trying to date such logos. I've trawled the various sites, but I'm calling for some good old fashioned "grey matter" between the ears information.

I know that the CAST STEEL would place it at over 100 years old, but it looks quite a bit older to me.

The 3 crowns would appear to be the most vital clue in terms of trying to date it, but I'm unable to find any reliable sources.

The information you seek is not to be found online.
You need a copy of this book

post907051.html#p907051

fruit of many years of study of thousands of saws, their makers and markings. It's a goodun!

Hi Andy and thanks for your quick response to my query.
I've had a look on the link and the book looks great but I can't find it for sale on the TATHS site. There's a copy on eBay for £100 but I'm not sure I can run to that !!

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help...

worldwartools":2fa6euk4 said:
Hi Andy and thanks for your quick response to my query.
I've had a look on the link and the book looks great but I can't find it for sale on the TATHS site. There's a copy on eBay for £100 but I'm not sure I can run to that !!

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help...

Oops, here's an updated link, leading to info on how to order a copy. You can also buy it on Amazon, if you really want - but don't be tempted by the over-optimistic (or software-led) resellers asking over £500 for a copy!

http://taths.org.uk/193-british-saws-sa ... n-hardback

another recommendation for this book - you can buy it directly from Mr Bailey at a very reasonable price, particularly when you think of the mind-boggling amount of work that went into creating it

worldwartools":i054a3mo said:
Thanks guys, I may well have to take the plunge.
Cheers

If you thinking of buying that Handsaw you may want to check out the sellers feedback; 9 feedbacks. (7 positive, 1 Neutral, 1 Negative.) Not too flash from a buyers perspective.

#I tried to converse with seller, but very arrogant. booklet very poor and worn.

#Harsh as .. descr stated handle damage, but pict. showed best side only

Back