Robbed Today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
A guy stepped in front of me while I was riding my bike along the Swansea promenade, grabbed the handlebars and told me to give him the bike, my phone and money. What was I meant to do? He was big bloke - maybe 6'2" and heavily built, and for all I knew he could have had a weapon in his pocket, and as I was still sat on the bike I wasn't in the position to resist as he would have pushed me over then did god knows what. I said I didn't have a phone or money (lied) got off the bike and he rode off.

I followed to see which direction he went and called the police, who couldn't have been more helpful. They sent a couple of cars to search the area, and a van to pick me up and take me to the station. Unfortunately his picture wasn't in the parade of 12 people who might have matched his description so the only thing the police can really do now is keep an eye out for him and the bike. I hope the house insurance covers theft/robbery. I'll find out tomorrow.

I can't believe his audacity to do this in daylight on a reasonably busy path! There probably were witnesses but it would have looked to them as though I knew him and was giving him the bike.

And to think that only 40 minutes earlier I was sat on the beach watching the waves splash on the rocks. turnip!

Mark

My only reply to your experience is to say that you certainly did the right thing. Better loose your bike than gain a knife in the ribs!

I have no idea how I would react in that situation? Hopefully the way that you did unless I had a rugby team or the like with me?

Good luck! What else can be said?

Jeez! Glad you're ok and yes, you did the right thing. Glad the police were helpful.

Thank goodness you weren't injured - stuff can be replaced. You did the right thing. Have you checked if there are any CCTV cameras covering the promenade?

My wife was threatened by a burglar with a hammer msny years ago when she returned home after shopping. She locked herself in the car and called 999 and the police were there very quickly. Although not injured she was badly shaken and it took a long time to fully get over it. The thug concerned was identified and later picked up and spent (to our knowledge) ove two years incarcerated.

You may find that you remember other details over the next few days - make sure you pass on anything else you remember to the police.

Misterfish

I would go out this evening and watch any drug dealing area, he should have sold the bike by now and buying some drugs, take a bigger bloke with you.

Sorry to hear of the incident.

I was waiting for the punch line at the end, I honestly thought it was a joke.

The outcome was not as bad as it could have been if you had resisted. I don't know what I would have done it the same situation, but I have two sons in law who are both built like brick dung houses and the next time I was in that area they would be close enough to me to 'lend a hand' should the same guy turn up.

I don't agree with violence but it's an unfortunate sign of the times that sometimes we have to fight fire with fire.

Stew

Absolute scum!

As someone else said, it's worth checking the CCTV. Good thinking on the phone and wallet situation. :D

As already said.... absolute scum. Main thing is that you are OK. I know it shouldn't matter, but was the bike an expensive one, and easily recognisable as such? These days it's dangerous to appear in public with anything of obvious value, such as iPhones/ipods etc. My own bike is worth about a fiver, and looks it, but many bikes out there are worth more (much more) than my car!

I believe the police in some areas will engrave bikes free of charge. I know that doesn't help you now, but the thieving lowlife may think twice about taking your bike if you get the chance to tell him it's security marked.

Hope they catch him and you get your bike back soon.

Roy

I'm pretty sure the insurance will replace the bike, which is a bit of good news considering that this month has been cursed... Holiday cut short, van broken down, can't work, cat ill, now bike robbed! The only thing I need now is for the shed to be burgled because I've found out from the house insurers that its been covered for considerably less than what it's worth :( That's the next job.

Thanks for the suggestions guys:

pate - There's no CCTV along that stretch of path
devonwoody - I can't go out and look for him because I still haven't got my van back from the garage! To be honest, when I first saw him I thought that he was drunk or high, the way that he stepped out in front of me.
DIY Stew - I don't know anyone who's bigger than him, and my dad works away from home during the week so by myself I'd be useless!
doorframe - it's a Specialized Hardrock Sport, worth about £320 including the mudguards I bought a few weeks ago.

Cheers,
Mark

I was once told its better to shout fire than help people seam to come running sorry to hear it there are some scum out there!

Russ

If you should see him riding your bike, knock him off and while he's on the ground kick him in the b*llox.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Sorry to hear that Mark. The bike is replaceable whilst you may not be. Only worth resisting - if you can bet your life on winning and one could easily end up betting.

Hope it gets sorted - the bike replacement.

Dibs

That's rotten news Mark, and as you say the audacity of these people takes some believing. Let's hope the insurance Company come to your rescue over the bike.

Like others, not sure what I would have done in similar circumstances but by doing what you did you are here to tell the tale.

regards

Brian

@ Mark:

Really sorry to hear your tale. As already said by many, there's no douvbt that you did the right thing (and you thought quickly and clearly too - NOT easy when one is surprised/shocked).

I haven't lived in UK for well over 30 years now but have heard it's getting worse. But the broad daylight tactics of this bloke take the biscuit - the sort of thing I'd only expect in some of the out of the way places I travel to on business, NOT anywhere in UK in day time.

Hope the insurance works out OK, and again, well done.

Krgds
AES

Sorry to hear of that. I also think you did the right thing. A friend of mine was walking home one night through an underpass when two guys dropped down from above demanding his phone and money. One of them ran away with a bleeding nose and the other lay in agony with a broken leg.....mind you my friend is almost 7' tall and a martial arts instructor, even so it shook him up being in that situation.

I had a very good, nearly new trailer nicked, and after about 3 months I had a letter from the police telling me that they hoped I was happy with the way they treated it, and would I please inform them if it reappeared. THAT DID NOT AMUSE ME.
Talk about box ticking! You'll get a letter like that if you're lucky!

They are obviously following the old R.A.F. model of

"when the all up weight of the paperwork reaches the all up weight of the aircraft, flight can take place"?

Ant then they are surprised when they have done nothing and you are not happy. I remember ages ago when some scrote broke into me car. A few weeks later I had a letter asking if I wanted counciling!

The way things are here were you to see the 'Gentleman' on your Bike and injure him in any way in the process of getting it back, you would be the one in trouble and he would likely get compensation. :roll:

That's a 'System' knock btw, not a Police one. :)

Back