Rob Lee visits the UK- a UKW exclusive.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Brown

Established Member
Reaction score
BriMarc will be hosting a visit by Rob Lee and Terry Saunders (Chief Plane Designer) on the evening of the 14th December to present "Hand tool Design and Manufacturing at Veritas".

It has been a long time since we had such a visit (it was his Dad and it
was a long time ago) so please do come along. It will be a social only, no
selling we promise.

To help you decide whether to make the journey to BriMarc in Warwick we will donate £5 per attendee to Tools for Self Reliance. We will also donate any old tools you bring along to this cause, please have a good rummage and be ruthless. See www.tfsr.org/ for more details.

Space will be limited and you will need to register with us at
[email protected] to ensure your seat. There will be light refreshments.

It should be a great night.

Martin and everyone at BriMarc.

PS Does bring back happy memories of Norms visit....

Great idea, sadly, it's a little too far north for me. Can you get him booked in for Tools 2005? No chance of a 'south-of-the-Thames' 2nd evening is there? Us southerners don't like to venture tooo far up 'cos t' everyone staairts' t' talk'in fun'y no'w wh'a ta mean' lad? :?

Adam

Frankly we are just trying things here. All feedback welcome and we do have some scope for change but it is unlikely this time.

Martin

Hi Martin, its a great initiative, but like Adam, its a bit too far for me to travel.
If you organise a second venue in the South for a simular event at some time, then that would be super!
John

Martin Brown":2lpowm9q said:
What about a car share?

It's not the driving in itself, I wouldn't mind that, it's the fact it's a work night, and Warwick and back is a 300mile round trip. In other cirumstances, I'd happily drive that in a day, but leaving in the afternoon, and trying to fight round the M25 would make it too much hassle. Somewhere between Heathrow and Gatwick - would suit me fine. :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink:

The idea though, is a great one. Given the whole Veritas crew have clearly put a great deal of thought into the entire design - it's nice to see them blowing their own trumpet a bit. It's also a chance to give them a bit of feedback.

Adam

My feedback is on the handles - they just don't fit my hands right. Either a... dare-I-say-it LN shape, or in reality what is a more 'traditional' Record/Stanley design would suit me better. Could be an "optional" extra, or an alternative maybe? Or maybe you could flog us one of your spokeshaves and we could make our own :oops:

asleitch":21ekvm5a said:
My feedback is on the handles - they just don't fit my hands right. Either a... dare-I-say-it LN shape, or in reality what is a more 'traditional' Record/Stanley design would suit me better. Could be an "optional" extra, or an alternative maybe? Or maybe you could flog us one of your spokeshaves and we could make our own :oops:

Hi Adam -

Most likely, we'll end up with "blanks" for users to configure handles however they wish...

There are a few handle tweaks in the works right now - but we won't be going to a Stanley shape...

Overall - I encourage users to modify handle shapes as often as possible - and we try to make modification as easy as possible - hence the LA SS kit (which makes a GREAT spokeshave!), the handle kits for the regular spokeshaves, and the wood knobs on the large shoulder (brass was not our first choice for the medium, but was all we could effectively do given the width constraint of .700").

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":3f6p78v2 said:
There are a few handle tweaks in the works right now - but we won't be going to a Stanley shape...
Definitely a "Veritas " shape. i.e. "different"... :wink:

Rob Lee":3f6p78v2 said:
Most likely, we'll end up with "blanks" for users to configure handles however they wish...
<snippity snip>
Overall - I encourage users to modify handle shapes as often as possible - and we try to make modification as easy as possible
Ha hum... The former being virtually a necessity 'cos of the latter having two pesky bolt holes to accurately bore in any potential handle blank... :roll: (And to think, up 'til now, I'm pretty sure I'd avoided whinging about that point too. :oops: )

Martin, when are you chaps going to move to a decent part of the country then? :roll: :lol: It's not looking good for me either; it's not fair. <stamps foot and goes off in a huff> :(

Cheers, Alf

Martin
Great idea - I'd really love to go. Unfortunately too far for me too.
With the large South West contingent - another event at Axminster would be great! And you may persuade them to stock some of the Veritas range too :).
Cheers
Gidon

Does it have to be on a weekday evening? I would like to attend but it would mean an afternoon off work and as Adam says the traffic would be a nightmare for anyone coming from down south. Late night drive home as well. Sat or Sun afternoon would be no problem.

John

Martin Brown":1usn1b93 said:
What about a car share?

Plane share would suit me....
A UK and Ireland tour would be the only answer.... Seriously, something that could be organised for 05 would be ideal, maybe en route to the Cologne show? Rob? Martin?

Noel

I second Noely - plane share or otherwise hold one in Calias France - then you UKer's could top up on your duty frees and have a woodworking meeting ;)

busy trying to finidsh the collector's cabinet from HELL in Amsterdam

Rob Lee said

This certainly gets my vote. If a woodworker can't make a comfy handle out of ... wood, there's little hope.

Alf
Martin, when are you chaps going to move to a decent part of the country then?

This is rich coming from someone who could WALK to tools2004. Suffice to say, the transport and accomodation costs of me and Helen's Western adventure are non-trivial.

BugBear

Noely":q1rrq3ip said:
Martin Brown":q1rrq3ip said:
What about a car share?

Plane share would suit me....
A UK and Ireland tour would be the only answer.... Seriously, something that could be organised for 05 would be ideal, maybe en route to the Cologne show? Rob? Martin?

Noel

Hi Noel -

This is a bit of a new effort for us - but I suspect your suggestion has merit... though the Cologne show has moved to every two years now. No worries though - we go to other shows (gardening too!), and I usually get to the UK at least once per year (2 nephews and families in London).

For this trip - the evening presentation is actually secondary (still fun for us), but I'll be glad to do it again in other locations (where the heck is Cornwall anyway??? ) should it prove to be of interest...Just don't tell the Aussie's.... that's too long a flight.... :)

We'd also do it at a less busy time of year - I'm only going to be over for three days...have to get back here quickly...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":1r99vl2v said:
(where the heck is Cornwall anyway??? )
Courtesy of the BBC:
_39963388_boscastle2_map203.gif

It's a small country to the west of England of course. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf - Many years ago I went to Cornwall - Do they still have the Customs & Immigration control in a shed on the side of the Plymouth road :)

Alf":1436m21r said:
It's a small country to the west of England of course. :roll:
Cheers, Alf

Now, like Scotland, if we could just get them to really go independent and stop sponging off us everyone would be happy all round :shock: :lol: :roll:

Adam :twisted:

And, therefore, GB is an island east of Ireland......

Noel

Hi Losos

Losos":o5tsjys0 said:
Alf - Many years ago I went to Cornwall - Do they still have the Customs & Immigration control in a shed on the side of the Plymouth road :)

That must have been many years ago, obviously before Cornwall joined the EU. Now it has an international arrivals lounge staffed by three hundred and forty staff, all just waiting to check your passports and visas. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Back