Rob Cosman's winding sticks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil. I never watched the video.
More fool me it seems.
Cheers
Chris

Bm101":wsravjpo said:
A solution so obvious I didn't dream it could be necessary. We live and learn.
Thanks as always Custard.

Its pretty handy, in my experience. I went with the cheap/quick option on the sticks I made ages ago... a pencil line :|

Me too. Plus a little nick into top middle.
Didn't occur to me to add brass knobs, erotic carvings, inlay ivory, ebony, opals, and then to torrify the whole caboodle. I certainly will do next time!

Doug B":2xgzinjj said:
It’s the same with all these gurus especially the Americans their acolytes don’t appear to care what things cost they have to have the latest bit of merchandise.
I noticed Swartz has recently bought out a chore coat, a cotten shirt that retails at the bargain price of $185.00 though if you’re looking for extra large they’re sold out, so presumably plenty of takers.
Clearly if you can build up a faithful following there’s money to be made & good luck to them, beats hard graft.

Chore coat is a bit more than a shirt. The material is a fair bit thicker. Most of them use that "Duck Canvas" which isn't cheap.

I thought it was expensive, but when I googled around decent ones didn't really come much below £100.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Jacob":2cn38655 said:
Doug B":2cn38655 said:
..... a cotton shirt that retails at the bargain price of $185.00 though if you’re looking for extra large they’re sold out, so presumably plenty of takers......
It'll be those fat f....rs with loadsa dosh. Up the revolution!
Might get Pamela on the job - she's just been given an overlocker and we are wondering about commercial possibilities, plane socks and the like.

Rounded bevel edge protectors, I can see it now they’ll be all the rage, I’ve some jeans that need taking in, with what needs removing you could make denim ones :lol:

At Crich tomorrow fitting oak fence posts think Brian wants to finish me off :shock: :-?

Bodgers":fiz0twvk said:
Doug B":fiz0twvk said:
It’s the same with all these gurus especially the Americans their acolytes don’t appear to care what things cost they have to have the latest bit of merchandise.
I noticed Swartz has recently bought out a chore coat, a cotten shirt that retails at the bargain price of $185.00 though if you’re looking for extra large they’re sold out, so presumably plenty of takers.
Clearly if you can build up a faithful following there’s money to be made & good luck to them, beats hard graft.

Chore coat is a bit more than a shirt. The material is a fair bit thicker. Most of them use that "Duck Canvas" which isn't cheap.

I thought it was expensive, but when I googled around decent ones didn't really come much below £100.

I know it’s a bargain I’ve read Chris’s own review

On this topic I would like to know if you prefer workshop made wooden winding sticks or aluminium ones?
I made a pair last summer. As a Jobby woodworker I don’t get chance to get to the garage everyday.
Today I found out my winding sticks have gone wonky. They were oiled and finished so I can’t understand all the changes.

Any advice on how to keep them?

Thank you

SMALMALEKI":1n65msl7 said:
On this topic I would like to know if you prefer workshop made wooden winding sticks or aluminium ones?
I made a pair last summer. As a Jobby woodworker I don’t get chance to get to the garage everyday.
Today I found out my winding sticks have gone wonky. They were oiled and finished so I can’t understand all the changes.

Any advice on how to keep them?

Thank you
What wood? It helps the stagger the milling a day or two after when cutting the stock down into thinner pieces for winding sticks.

I also like my aluminium ones. They were two spare straight bits from a shower rail kit. Very straight, very stable. Zero cost.

I was thinking about making a pair from some aluminium angle I have. Should do the job I think. Will need to add some kind of markers on the ends though.

At the risk of sounding really cheap, I added contrasting corners using a black marker pen. Just a suggestion, naturally. :)

AndyT":1qvft5z9 said:
At the risk of sounding really cheap, I added contrasting corners using a black marker pen. Just a suggestion, naturally. :)

And here was me thinking electrical tape was a bodge :lol:

When I made mine, on here somewhere, I made one solid piece and then deep ripped it. I figured that if there was going to be any movement at least both halves would move in the same way by the same amount.

At the risk of sounding really cheap, I added contrasting corners using a black marker pen.

Mine are proper posh -- I used insulating tape. One in Red and one in Blue. In that way, it makes it easier to see the rear stick as it contrasts with the front one.

clanger":3gnxwwq0 said:
At the risk of sounding really cheap, I added contrasting corners using a black marker pen.

Mine are proper posh -- I used insulating tape. One in Red and one in Blue. In that way, it makes it easier to see the rear stick as it contrasts with the front one.
If you had red and green on the ends you could tell port and starboard. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.

Back