Rob Cosman DVD's and his dovetail saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can not offer DC (great teacher and producer of great videos) the kudos for this.

The 'ruler trick' is not his... he simply popularised it.

I recall from my youth, a carpenter who used the same method.

He did not use a RULER though! He was a wise man, and had more respect for his tools.

Instead he used a piece of brass sheet... quite efficient, and easily replaced.

The 'ruler trick' has been part of good carpentry / workshop practice for a longer time than David has been using it.

-g-

CONGER":1flx5ih0 said:
I can not offer DC (great teacher and producer of great videos) the kudos for this.

The 'ruler trick' is not his... he simply popularised it.

I recall from my youth, a carpenter who used the same method.

He did not use a RULER though! He was a wise man, and had more respect for his tools.

Instead he used a piece of brass sheet... quite efficient, and easily replaced.

The 'ruler trick' has been part of good carpentry / workshop practice for a longer time than David has been using it.

-g-

This is interesting - I had never heard of this technique before DC promoted it. And I have read a lot of information and instructional material, both new and old.

Until your post, I thought DC had that rarest of things - a genuinely new technique. AFAIK DC is (at least) an "independent discoverer" of this technique.

I would also say that for many people locating a (low precision) stainless steel ruler is easier and cheaper than finding a similar piece of brass!

BugBear

bugbear":m4atr9ad said:
I would also say that for many people locating a (low precision) stainless steel ruler is easier and cheaper than finding a similar piece of brass!

BugBear

I went to Penny Farthing Tools and had a rummage through their box of second hand rules. I ended up with a very thin, very narrow 250mm long R&C rule (imperial, so no use to me :) ) that I now use on the Spyderco - Rob

Bugbear... that may be true for some today... but it was not the case 40+ years ago when I first saw this 'trick', and knowing the man in question, I suspect he had hogged the brass shim from some 'junk' he had come across. He certainly did not buy it from the metal dealer.

I am somewhat confused about the expression 'low precision' that you use. I do not see what role the precision plays as regards the 'ruler'. Surely, it only needs to be approx. the right size (to provide the desired angle)... and consistent across the edge on which the plane blade slides? I think a piece of scrap brass, or similar, sheet would fill the bill.

In my own case, when I am using the 'ruler trick', I avoid using my steel rulers. I have a piece of metal (could be brass... dunno exactly) waiting in the box with my sharpening stones. That does the job for me.

-ger-

I think Bugbear is referring to a cheap steel rule from a pound shop or market, more use from blade sharpening than measuring.

DaveL":82p0qzoj said:
I think Bugbear is referring to a cheap steel rule from a pound shop or market, more use from blade sharpening than measuring.
Many of the 'cheapies' though seem to be made from fairly thick material which increases the angle slightly on the back of the blade. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference but it's something I was aware of when I was trying to find a decent rule - Rob

CONGER":2lkvuhld said:
I am somewhat confused about the expression 'low precision' that you use. I do not see what role the precision plays as regards the 'ruler'.

I was using it as a synonym for "cheap" :)

BugBear

Conger,
I have a carpentry background and was taught by my brother (now in his fifties) he did a proper apprenticeship which was five years at the time, he was taught by older men who`s apprenticeships were seven years. My brother and I are both tool and woodworking enthusiasts, we keep up to date as best we can with new tools and new methods. Not once before reading DCs books had we encountered the ruler trick or raising the angle by a couple of degrees to polish the bevelled edge. I believe DC discovered these techniques for himself as possibly so did your carpenter. What point am I trying to make here. None really except Rob Cosman did copy David Charlesworth. :lol:

Kind regards, Mark W

Back