Rob Cosman DVD's and his dovetail saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_1380

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I was researching hand joinery techniques and came across Rob Cosman's Dvds.

He seems to be the guru of dovetails and hand joinery. In his trailer he seems to come across as very interesting and above all a good 'teacher'.

Before I buy a dvd I was just wondering if anyone has seen these videos and if so, what was your opinion of it? Was it worth the money?

In my opinion what I learn from it will outweigh the cost of the dvd, but as I'm a beginner to woodworking I'd like some opinions from people who have seen it.

He also does videos for planing and mortice and tenons although buying all thee dvds would be too pricey for me, I'm mainly interested in the dovetail one.

Also he markets his own dovetail saw; it has two different tpi on a single saw blade. I believe the idea is to start the cut with the finer teeth and then finish the cut with the courser teeth. At over £200 it does seem hellish expensive. Has anyone bought the saw? What do you think to it?

Thanks again

Russ

Do you subscribe to Tesco DVD rental or LoveFilm DVD Rental (both the same really). If so you will find some of Rob's DVDs on there. I am on my second from there, seem OK so far but I personally don't have much to rate them against.

HI Russ,
I`ve got some of his dvds and I think the dovetailing ones are the best, also the ones on making and fitting drawers and mortice and tenons are very good. The ones on hand planing and sharpening are ok but a better choice for these in my opinion are the David Charlesworth ones, Cosman only copied his ideas.
The saw in my opinion is not as good as the new Veritas one which is also cheaper, I`ve got the Lie Nielsen and I find it a little course. I tried a variety of saws at the West Dean show this year, all the above and some others and for me the Veritas was best, the Cosman seemed out of balance, the handle was too heavy.

All the best Mark W

cheers Mike

I'll have a look, I'm not really a film buff though but I may consider joining just for carpentry vids.

I just found a link on here reviewing his rough and ready planing vid. I think the general opinion was it was not quite as detailed as the buyer had hoped.

I hope his dovetail vid is better as the preview looked very good

His Dovetail method is so simple and straight forward. I did a few test joints and it came out well. After you've seen his method, all you need is practise.

Hi Russ
I have seen the DT DVDs by Cosman, Kingshott, Klaus, Bird et al, and would rate Rob's three very highly. His approach is both methodical and thorough, and should give any the confidence to go ahead and start cutting.

Choice of saw is personal, as all will do the job, some just requiring more tuning than others, and being suited to different working styles or materials and thicknesses. I have a few DT saws :oops: (OK, lots) and Rob's is a favourite amongst the heavier style saws (along with Ed in Oakeville's - yum)
(I just like DT saws - the sensible approach of course is to pick one and learn how to use it well. Rob hi'self says as much.)

Mike - though Rob does use David's ruler trick, his approach to sharpening plane blades is otherwise different, principally as he prefers a straight blade - any approach that gets working sharp with a minimum of fuss will serve - just add practice. The greatest boon I picked up from David C's sharpening DVD was not the ruler trick, but the method for preparing chisel 'backs' ('faces' for the persistant reactionary.)

Cheers
Steve

They are incredible DVDs and well worth the money

My Houndstooth DT tutorial is a result of watching a Rob Cosman DVD (Click on the link in my signature)

dunbarhamlin":z4w5bllh said:
Hi Russ
I have seen the DT DVDs by Cosman, Kingshott, Klaus, Bird et al, and would rate Rob's three very highly. His approach is both methodical and thorough, and should give any the confidence to go ahead and start cutting.
I've seen his 'trailers' on Youtube and his method looked to be much the same as everyone elses. Do the 'trailers' not do justice to the full DVDs?

Dave

Dunbarhamlin,
Rob Cosman also raises the honing angle by a couple of degrees, he does this and the ruler trick, these are the best time saving methods I have ever used and both produce an excellent edge. Both are original ideas by David Charlesworth, so as I said before Cosman copied Davids ideas. As for a square blade, for general planing a square edge is not much good I suggest you get the Hand planing dvd by David, all is explained.

Kid regards, Mark W

Dave
As you say, cutting a dovetail is much of a muchness, but Rob is an excellent teacher, and it is the extra detail, with regards tool preparation, layout and practice cuts which I think make his DVDs stand out.

Mark
Rob always cites David as the source of the much favoured ruler trick. He does however sharpen freehand, whereas David likes the repeatability of a guide.

With regards curved versus straight blades, whilst the former is fashionable (I have seen David's DVDs - jolly good they are too,) and have I a surfeit of blades with me I do use a curved blade for trying and hogging, it is by no means necessary for either task, nor for final surfacing.
Trying with a straight blade can be done either by selective weighting (I find this difficult,) by learning to hold the plane true or by step planing (my method when I don't have a curved blade.)
Given a methodical order of cut, a smoothing cut with a well set straight blade does not produce discernible plane tracks, as the track can be no more than a fraction of a thou deep. Where a rounded corner or curved blade is useful is if an isolated stroke is required for awkward grain.

We all find ways that suit our temperaments and needs.

Cheers
Steve

dunbarhamlin":1egbcvzd said:
We all find ways that suit our temperaments and needs.

Don't you mean "We all find ways, and then defend them to the death in venomous flamewars of mutual incomprehension" ?

:)

BugBear

:lol: just so, BB.

I know the ruler trick and cambered blades work well, but choose not to use them, in part out of sheer bloody mindedness and in part because at times I may not be working with all of my own tools and sharpening setup - Joe Soap's 6" rule may be a different thickness, for instance, and once prepped, the ruler trick adds nothing (I have ruler tricked old blades.)

On that note, another instance where an intentional cambering action is of benefit is if the stone is crowned.
(See - I do recognise the error of my ways :) )

Cheers
Steve

Thank you everyone.

I'll try and rent it (if Tesco) still stock it. As for the saw I'll keep looking and researching further.

John Henry; fancy seeing you on here, small world eh? I spoke to Richard today and he agreed to approve the Cosman DVD if the library offer to buy it for us. Speaking of the library, I got a couple more books out today to swat up on technique over the weekend.

See you tomorrow in the workshop John Henry mate.

R

russ_1380":33a1avqw said:
See you tomorrow in the workshop John Henry mate.

R

Hi Russ

damit you've blown my cover!

yes i'll probly go in for a bit tomorrow.

Richards a member of this forum, hes probly watching us right now 8-[

John-Henry

mark w":unn2jcmw said:
No venom here just good old debate and discussion.
He has copied DC though :wink:

Regards, Mark W

Being the owner of all DCs DVDs and most RCs, I can't say that I agree with the copying thesis.

For sharpening and tool care buy DC, for actual woodwork buy RC

The only Cosman DVD I've seen is the one where he preps a board by hand and that had one or two obvious flaws (iIrc) though it's some time ago since I saw it. Having seen that one, I haven't bothered with any of the other ones...the Alan Peters DVD might be a bit different though - Rob

I would like to see the Alan Peters one. What does it cover? Just a long interview, or do you see them actually working together?

Back