Road Tax rates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll find that most cyclists who get shouted at by irate motorists, do pay vehicle excise duty. I'll wager it's a vèry small percentage of leisure cyclists that doesn't(don't?) have a car at home.

Hi All
I run a 2006 Citroën C5 1.6HDI road TAX £145.00 per year or £14.00 per month. However, I don't buy Diesel at the pumps at least I haven't for the past 18 months. I have started making my own Biodiesel at a cost of round 50p per litre against £1.199p per litre, and the car runs cleaner.

Only because the income from it is no longer spent on the roads. Some vehicles are exempt, but no one without a vehicle on the road pays it, ergo it's a road tax. QED.:)
Had many an argument on this. It’s not a de jure road tax, but it is a de facto road tax. You have to pay money to the Treasury (tax) to use or keep a car on the road (er, road).

We laymen don’t define tax on where it is spent, but what it’s levied for - you get income, you pay income tax.

My wife has a 2016 2.0 L TDi Golf R Line that she has had from new and its only £20 per year Road Tax...! I think it has something to do with the engine Auto Stop/Start function...?

My wife has a 2016 2.0 L TDi Golf R Line that she has had from new and its only £20 per year Road Tax...! I think it has something to do with the engine Auto Stop/Start function...?
The stop start will help but if I recall road tax is based on emissions. Until such time as no cars emit anything at which point there will, of course be no road tax. :ROFLMAO:

The stop start will help but if I recall road tax is based on emissions. Until such time as no cars emit anything at which point there will, of course be no road tax. :ROFLMAO:

In which case they'll just find something else to tax (tyres, screenwash, USB ports?) :mad:

Good Morning Folks

I hope you're all well. A friend of a friend was boasting to me the other day that he only pays £12 per year for his road tax. He has a BMW. He failed to tell me how he managed to reduce his road tax charge, even though I asked him repeatedly !!

Is this really possible?

Thank You
I checked csn't find any vehicle tax £12

You are joking, ever seen a pig fly? they will tax you just for owning the vehicle. The state of our roads you wouldn't notice any difference if you had square wheels,
Its claimed yrs back much of road tax goes on defence, What a waste the enemy is already here.

I have a 1.6L Hyundai i130 diesel which I bought new it Sept 2016 on which I pay zero road tax. That's because at the time, government policy was based on low CO2 emissions, and the government was still encouraging people to buy diesel cars. I can't recall the CO2 level at which zero tax was levied. When I bought it, I think there was a nominal £20 in the first year only. when I sell the car, as I will when the five year warranty expiries in August next year, a new owner will have to pay whatever tax applies then. Of course, now, diesel cars are demonised and the objective is, we're told, to reduce nitrous oxide emissions, so next year, when I buy a new car, it will be petrol (the consequences of which is already increased CO2 levels). What I most certainly will not be buying is electric. Electric cars have a dreadful 'environmental footprint'. True, their tailpipe emissions are water vapour so it reduces pollution in urban environments, but while ever power stations use fossil fuels to generate electricity your 'tailpipe' is at the power station. What's more, the mining and refining of lithium and other minerals which go into and manufacturing of batteries for electric cars (which have a limited life-span before they're recycled) is extremely polluting and energy intensive. Hydrogen then? Most of it is still made from fossil fuels - not from electrolysis of water (which is very energy intensive).

Well, coming to a country near you soon. Abolishment of all taxes except for one, sales tax on new non-essential items (at around 15 to 20%). It's called GESARA. Do your research :)

I have a 1.6L Hyundai i130 diesel which I bought new it Sept 2016 on which I pay zero road tax. That's because at the time, government policy was based on low CO2 emissions, and the government was still encouraging people to buy diesel cars. I can't recall the CO2 level at which zero tax was levied. When I bought it, I think there was a nominal £20 in the first year only. when I sell the car, as I will when the five year warranty expiries in August next year, a new owner will have to pay whatever tax applies then. Of course, now, diesel cars are demonised and the objective is, we're told, to reduce nitrous oxide emissions, so next year, when I buy a new car, it will be petrol (the consequences of which is already increased CO2 levels). What I most certainly will not be buying is electric. Electric cars have a dreadful 'environmental footprint'. True, their tailpipe emissions are water vapour so it reduces pollution in urban environments, but while ever power stations use fossil fuels to generate electricity your 'tailpipe' is at the power station. What's more, the mining and refining of lithium and other minerals which go into and manufacturing of batteries for electric cars (which have a limited life-span before they're recycled) is extremely polluting and energy intensive. Hydrogen then? Most of it is still made from fossil fuels - not from electrolysis of water (which is very energy intensive).
There are no emissions at all from an electric car unless it's a hydrogen car, and the energy generated at a power station (assuming you aren't paying for a green tariff) is still a lot more efficiently produced than that of a petrol or even diesel engine. Emissions are localised away from town centres and in theory can be collected.

With regard to the footprint of making the car and its batteries, I seem to recall that over their lifetime an electric car (including its manufacture) is half as pollutant as an ICE car, and that's assuming 60% of your electricity comes from coal or gas. With coal near dead in the UK at last it gets even better.

Electric cars are coming at pace and they are here to stay. The only reason I don't have one is that I only got my Superb 280 nearly 3 years ago. In probably 5-7 years time something in my price range will appear and I'll get one. For many people in the UK at least range anxiety shouldn't be an issue either.

Well, coming to a country near you soon. Abolishment of all taxes except for one, sales tax on new non-essential items (at around 15 to 20%). It's called GESARA. Do your research :)
I googled it and got references to Q anon and a pic of The Donald, with a beard.

There are no emissions at all from an electric car unless it's a hydrogen car, and the energy generated at a power station (assuming you aren't paying for a green tariff) is still a lot more efficiently produced than that of a petrol or even diesel engine. Emissions are localised away from town centres and in theory can be collected.

With regard to the footprint of making the car and its batteries, I seem to recall that over their lifetime an electric car (including its manufacture) is half as pollutant as an ICE car, and that's assuming 60% of your electricity comes from coal or gas. With coal near dead in the UK at last it gets even better.

Electric cars are coming at pace and they are here to stay. The only reason I don't have one is that I only got my Superb 280 nearly 3 years ago. In probably 5-7 years time something in my price range will appear and I'll get one. For many people in the UK at least range anxiety shouldn't be an issue either.
Electric cars have similar emissions to diesel and petrol cars. The only difference is the exhaust pipe is hundreds of miles away.

Was thinking of a new car this year, but i am being green & recycling & also aiming for the newest car before 2017 that has a £30 road tax "or less" mainly to not give the govomentg any more money to waste. I am just making a list of the cheap taxable cars. But it's looking like a skoda estate.

Electric cars have similar emissions to diesel and petrol cars. The only difference is the exhaust pipe is hundreds of miles away.
Not in the UK - but perhaps in parts of the US or India or somewhere this old info came from. Our electricity grid is steadily de-carbonising. Most days for the last six months more than 40% of our leccy has been generated without burning anything (fossils or 'biomass'). Last year, 54% of our leccy came from 'low-carbon' sources:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-low-carbon-electricity-generation-stalls-in-2019

Not in the UK - but perhaps in parts of the US or India or somewhere this old info came from. Our electricity grid is steadily de-carbonising. Most days for the last six months more than 40% of our leccy has been generated without burning anything (fossils or 'biomass'). Last year, 54% of our leccy came from 'low-carbon' sources:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-low-carbon-electricity-generation-stalls-in-2019
How do you imagine all the equipment for the "fossil free" generation is made? A turbine takes years to become carbon neutral and that's the best of all of those you quote.

Latest posts

Back