Road Mess

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I know farmers must drive tractors on the road and that we should expect some mess but-----. Yesterday close to home a main road became in-passable, one side was 3 inches (at least ) deep in mud and stones, the other side was being made worse by some guy with a bull dozer. This mess was over several hundred yards, farmer moving one lot of dung from one field to another. Cars were piled up you certainly could not brake on the stuff, and of course there was the odd moron in a 4 by 4 who took great delight in showering other cars with dung and stones. I give up. :twisted:

woodbloke":10rrf4uv said:
newt":10rrf4uv said:
odd moron in a 4 by 4 who took great delight in showering other cars with ***** and stones. I give up. :twisted:
Not guilty Pete :lol: - Rob

Thing is Rob if it had have been you your shiney well kept red landy would have been a dirty dark dung brown. I had to reverse about half a mile. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Different scenario here. The local football club is raising it's pitch so, for over a month, huge dumper trucks have been queuing all day to get in and dump loads of soil. In order to keep the road clean there is a tractor with a grader scraping the mud off the road, another tractor with a big brush following the first, yet another tractor with a slurry tanker spraying water on the road and a road sweeper doing a final pass. Along with that there are two men at the exit to the site lifting large lumps of clay and soil as they fall off the truck wheels and they also direct traffic.

This is on a busy B road but, considering the amount of traffic going in and out of the field, disruption is being kept to a minimum. I appreciate the fact that there are laws and regulations governing the whole process but it is still nice to see a well organised operation in action.

Brendan

BMac":zhf0yo0x said:
Different scenario here. The local football club is raising it's pitch so, for over a month, huge dumper trucks have been queuing all day to get in and dump loads of soil. In order to keep the road clean there is a tractor with a grader scraping the mud off the road, another tractor with a big brush following the first, yet another tractor with a slurry tanker spraying water on the road and a road sweeper doing a final pass. Along with that there are two men at the exit to the site lifting large lumps of clay and soil as they fall off the truck wheels and they also direct traffic.

This is on a busy B road but, considering the amount of traffic going in and out of the field, disruption is being kept to a minimum. I appreciate the fact that there are laws and regulations governing the whole process but it is still nice to see a well organised operation in action.

Brendan

I agree that is the way it should be done 10 out of 10. What gets me is there are so many restrictions involving the disposal of waste, but the fact that someone good easly get injured, when driving through this mess, does not seem to matter.

They are supposed to clear it up. But there is downside. Years ago a gas pipeline was being installed near where I lived, and people complained about the mud on the road, so being good neighbours the contractors hosed it down each evening.
FF to one freezing cold evening and yours truly is driving home from the local with two friends on board, and at the bottom of the hill, on a sharp bend, I hit the frozen water, 4 inches of it.
Off the road, across the verge, through a bridge and into the river!
All three of us required medical attention and my car was a write off, and to add insult to injury I lost my NCB!

Back