road cycling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes it was quite funny I thought. I am entitled to answer back just like everybody else!

n.b. your own posts always seem to be the most angry and abusive of all, in this thread as in others. You seem unaware of this. I'm just clicking the ignore button, in case you start winding yourself up again. TTFN!

Another attempt at deflection, it's classic, "No your the angry one not me". may I suggest you read your posts and do a point score for say each sarcastic or rude post on the forum, it may give you a better understanding of your lack of awareness of being nasty and spiteful. Maybe go through your past weeks postings and give them some thought as to why you feel the need to be so rude, arrogant and pig headed.
Narcissists, tend to hide from the truth. Yet another symptom Jacob. Carry on being spiteful, sarcastic, belittling, it's like a drug to boost your ego, very difficult to change and impossible to take a good hard look at yourself.
I am posting against all your thread responses because I personally am sick and tired of it. This place can be really friendly and informative, there is no need to be mean, nasty and horrible.

PS. you have never used the ignore button in your life, you used to say that to some other punters but then respond, now you are either internet telepathic or of dubious character. Mind you it's a great way of not facing the truth I suppose.

Agree with most here. The pro cycling is an absolute spectacle and well worth taking the trouble to watch in person. Piffling inconvenience for a short period. Towns and villages that host the route by and large seem to love it! There will always be the odd naysayer.
I watched them from the tour of Britain when it came through Glasgow. The weather was hammering it down and they came through Glasgow green and some of the roads there are still cobbled. Wet cobbles are the devils roadway, but the pros came through and i didnt see any come off. I cycled in before the rain came on and got totally soaked standing watching, but it was worth it as it is indeed a spectacle

Just seen the thread, disappointed with the usual suspects arguing the toss.

Cycle clips? Nah it's all body hugging stretch lycra nowadays! Very sexy.
Er....
received_308616170179879.jpeg

My longest day LEJOG was the last one, 100 miles - Lairg to JoG, but was with full camping gear on a heavy bike! Averaged 75 per day, one day off when spoke broke.
Started running last year but arthritis stopped it. New hip next Monday if nothing intervenes, haven't been on my bike since May - can't get leg over.
Hope it goes well Jacob.

Cheers James

in France we used to live a few kilometers from the Tour De/Fr......
what a nightmare.....we locked our gates and stayed on the farm for a week before and after.....
Then after that u get all the Wannabe idiots wizzing about.....
I was not the only one that hated it, even the Fr locals were peed off....
but supose it's good for the local trades......
As the Tour route changes every year it would be quite difficult to live a few kilometers from the TdF, unless you lived on the Champs d'elysee!

I watched them from the tour of Britain when it came through Glasgow. The weather was hammering it down and they came through Glasgow green and some of the roads there are still cobbled. Wet cobbles are the devils roadway, but the pros came through and i didnt see any come off. I cycled in before the rain came on and got totally soaked standing watching, but it was worth it as it is indeed a spectacle

Just seen the thread, disappointed with the usual suspects arguing the toss.

Er....View attachment 128006
I watched the world's in Harrogate it was pissing it down all day. Thankfully the village hall was open for tea coffee and cake and a TV so we ran to and from the road side to the hall each lap!!
Great fun!

Last edited:
Having watched an open race, good amateurs and pro's, it's remarkable the step up to pro level, they just flew past.

I watched the world's in Harrogate it was pissing it down all day. Thankfully the village hall was open for tea coffee and cake and a TV so we rang to and from the road side to the hall each lap!!
Great fun!
Lucky you. I got to stand in the rain, and it was bloody windy too, and a cold icy wind at that.
Then I had to cycle home soaking wet. Damn near went hypothermic :LOL:

I watched the world's in Harrogate it was pissing it down all day. Thankfully the village hall was open for tea coffee and cake and a TV so we rang to and from the road side to the hall each lap!!
Great fun!
I was riding through it on that day (definitely as a fat bloke amateur not a pro). Took me about 3 days to dry out afterwards.

As for lycra; the critical thing is that if you're the one wearing it, you're not the one that's having to look at it. Especially when you look like 200lbs of raw sausage meat stuffed into a bin bag.

Without looking at the details something tells me this conclusion is deeply flawed!
If only on the basis of mass, cars and vans being heavier will always do more damage than a cyclist no mater what speed the bike is doing.

Ther are no recorded instances of walkers causing death to others by virtue of walking dangerously.
But on the other hand cyclist using pedestrian footpaths are a real hazard to walkers, especially those on mountain bikes in national parks.

When a cyclist goes through a red light and is hit by a car, is it recorded as they were injured by a car?
I would say they were injured by over confidence and bravado, I suspect the cyclists will say the car should have been looking for cyclists and stopped, and the car drivers will say the cyclist shouldn't have gone through a red light.

Cycling is dangerous. Cars get scratched or dented. HGVs may not register a collision. Cyclists break legs, skulls, ribs ....... and sometimes die.

Mountain bikers may hit tree stumps, rocks, etc at speed on steep slopes with predictable outcomes.

Continual stress on a few body components leaves many athletes with failed physiques but fantastic cardio vascular systems. You can live a long time with arthritis and kn-----ckered joints.

However, like free speech, I would defend their right to abuse their bodies and risk their lives.

If cycling is nea
Cycling is dangerous. Cars get scratched or dented. HGVs may not register a collision. Cyclists break legs, skulls, ribs ....... and sometimes die.

Mountain bikers may hit tree stumps, rocks, etc at speed on steep slopes with predictable outcomes.

Continual stress on a few body components leaves many athletes with failed physiques but fantastic cardio vascular systems. You can live a long time with arthritis and kn-----ckered joints.

However, like free speech, I would defend their right to abuse their bodies and risk their lives.
Well yes they can be a danger to themselves. Doesn't do to overstate it - it's a very safe pastime.
But if Deema's calcs are correct, that cyclist are nearly as dangerous as HGVs, then you'd expect HGV/bike collisions to produce nearly as many injuries to the drivers as to the cyclists. :unsure: Could this be true?

....on the other hand cyclist using pedestrian footpaths are a real hazard to walkers, especially those on mountain bikes in national parks.
Works both ways. Generally, common sense and courtesy rule.

If the cyclist followed the rules then there would be no issues, they are not allowed on footpaths signed yellow arrows, " for people on foot only " but should be using paths signed with blue arrows where walkers know they may encounter a cyclist and so are aware.

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/things-to-do/rowupdates
Works both ways. I've been shouted at by pedestrians who didn't seem to know they were on a shared path, even though I was giving way, ringing a bell etc. I've even been shouted at for ringing a bell "aggressively". There is moronic anti cycling culture around, which isn't reciprocated; cyclists aren't opposed to walkers - 'cyclists only' paths are extremely rare, unlike say in Holland

The root of the problem is simply that bicycles, cars, and walkers, all have very different speeds and "flow patterns", and really don't mix well when put on the same piece of ground. It's inevitable that, when put together, it just ends up annoying everyone. Doesn't mean that any one group is at fault (though obviously in all groups there are considerate and inconsiderate individuals - just like society in general).

I get annoyed every time I see a cyclist go through a red light, it's not something I do and it makes other cyclists look bad, even more annoying on a dangerous main road and they often don't have helmets on, lights .e.t.c, does my head in.

I get annoyed every time I see a cyclist go through a red light, it's not something I do and it makes other cyclists look bad, even more annoying on a dangerous main road and they often don't have helmets on, lights .e.t.c, does my head in.
There are only two red lights I cycle through. One in Bath and another in Wells. Both are fitted with sensors that are unable to detect a person on a carbon bike. As my route is inevitable on the normally stopped direction I have no option but to jump it. I’ve had nasty looks from pedestrians when I’ve done it. I have contacted both councils and neither will do anything about it.

Latest posts

Back