road cycling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loop
I think it’s also interesting to see from the same report who is getting killed / seriously injured (KSI) on cycles.
Basically the most effective way of reducing cycling accidents (a massive 46% of all deaths) would be to stop men aged between 30 and 60 from cycling! It’s probably not surprising men have a higher rate of accidents due to their trait of being higher risk takers, but the age profile is what surprised me the most.

The data suggests that assuming the risk posed by traffic is the same for cyclists is the same, that it is the behaviour of men aged between 30 and 60 that accounts for the most fatalities. This won’t I don’t believe be addressed by changing the rules of the road, it’s something about the attitude / behaviour of men when cycling that’s the problem. This is what needs addressing.
View attachment 127992
Glad I didn't go out on my bike tonight!!

Would be interested to see number of injuries due to cycling Vs home workshops....!

Probably best to stay in the sofa!🤣🤣🤣

What we see is that cyclists are almost as dangerous as cars and LGVs. .....
Without looking at the details something tells me this conclusion is deeply flawed!

Without looking at the details something tells me this conclusion is deeply flawed!
The devil is in the detail, and as uncomfortable as it is, it’s better to read around a subject, check facts rather than just expect reality to mirror preconceived perspectives.

Loop

Glad I didn't go out on my bike tonight!!

Would be interested to see number of injuries due to cycling Vs home workshops....!

Probably best to stay in the sofa!🤣🤣🤣

Now that is risky! According to the British medical Journal a sedentary life led to 69,276 deaths in 2016/7, that’s a lot more than KSI cycling!! I
The deadly sofa death!
https://jech.bmj.com/content/73/7/625

The devil is in the detail, and as uncomfortable as it is, it’s better to read around a subject, check facts rather than just expect reality to mirror preconceived perspectives.
By your analysis how would the danger of walking rate as compared to cycling?

By your analysis how would the danger of walking rate as compared to cycling?
Ther are no recorded instances of walkers causing death to others by virtue of walking dangerously. It’s in the published stats, by its absence.

I'm not sure about harder - but rowing around here is pretty difficult without driving or using a machine (driving to the rivers, that is - used to be a lot of recreational rowing, but a cut back on corporate team events seems to have trimmed the number of recreational rowers going in the morning).

You can make road cycling just bonkers if you're willing to put on a heart meter and go beyond where you can running in terms of exhaustion because you don't have to hold your weight up.

Running feels less resistive and more pounding and damaging (though road biking is pretty hard on the tubes between your legs going...you know).

It's no big deal to get on a road bike and turn up the cadence and just spend yourself fast. I would wear a heart monitor and I could tell you at the time when my heart was getting near 200bpm because that's where I started feeling pain. Not necessarily tightness (didn't feel dangerous), just a pain coming from the heart.

Not familiar with the longer rides that people do at great distances, though - generally stock to fast rides of 20 miles or so. Running 5 miles (once around our loop) was arduous and pounding. biking was just exhausting and hard to know if you went too far unless you got off of the bike and couldn't stand.

side comment on the road races -obviously no tour de france in the US. We did have a "tour de trump" and then another sponsor after that. I remember that because my elementary school was along the route for the tour de trump and at the time, greg lemond was sort of a celebrity due to TDF wins.

That said, the school was long the route, but not somewhere a crowd would gather. The peloton must've passed us, because we never saw it and the teachers mentioned it would be coming but did nothing to alert each other so the kids could see the group go by.

I'm guessing if you live in a rural area for most of these races, the riders go by and there's not a whole lot of other fanfare unless you get the peloton and support vehicles all at once?

(chuckle at the comment above about the environmental impact of the race, too - professional races aren't really about anything other than the competition. It's probably not accurate to say they're about health and fitness, either - I doubt the TDF style torture and some of the training are good for the riders. Even without doping).

I am a bit of a pussy cat as during winter I run on a home treadmill with a TV. Same with rowing, concept 2, however rowing is taking second place as it's more f-------g painful every year.

I'm not sure about harder - but rowing around here is pretty difficult without driving or using a machine (driving to the rivers, that is - used to be a lot of recreational rowing, but a cut back on corporate team events seems to have trimmed the number of recreational rowers going in the morning).

You can make road cycling just bonkers if you're willing to put on a heart meter and go beyond where you can running in terms of exhaustion because you don't have to hold your weight up.

Running feels less resistive and more pounding and damaging (though road biking is pretty hard on the tubes between your legs going...you know).

It's no big deal to get on a road bike and turn up the cadence and just spend yourself fast. I would wear a heart monitor and I could tell you at the time when my heart was getting near 200bpm because that's where I started feeling pain. Not necessarily tightness (didn't feel dangerous), just a pain coming from the heart.

Not familiar with the longer rides that people do at great distances, though - generally stock to fast rides of 20 miles or so. Running 5 miles (once around our loop) was arduous and pounding. biking was just exhausting and hard to know if you went too far unless you got off of the bike and couldn't stand.

I've done many 100 mile rides and they feel about the same as a marathon 26miles.

After both when cycled/run at chat feel like your going to be sick / collapse!!

However when I did my lejog I did 8 days at about 100 miles a day longest 160 and never felt that tired.

Yebbut who gives an F about sad people who hate cyclists?

Well you seem to get worked up by the haters, so I guess the answer is, you.

I quite like them on their own or with a friend, in groups they seem to go rogue and a bit puffy chested but I guess the larger the group the bigger the pinapples grow.

I absolutely love modern bike shapes, unbelievably cool. You still on one of those new fangled penny farthings Jacob? :D :D

I've done many 100 mile rides and they feel about the same as a marathon 26miles.

After both when cycled/run at chat feel like your going to be sick / collapse!!

However when I did my lejog I did 8 days at about 100 miles a day longest 160 and never felt that tired.
My longest day LEJOG was the last one, 100 miles - Lairg to JoG, but was with full camping gear on a heavy bike! Averaged 75 per day, one day off when spoke broke.
Started running last year but arthritis stopped it. New hip next Monday if nothing intervenes, haven't been on my bike since May - can't get leg over.

No I just keep trying to explain things to them in a friendly way!

Lot of it reading back (from page 1) is typical sarcastic shitee, but maybe that is your friendly way, very hard to tell with you these days. Maybe you aren't even aware of what you are doing.

My longest day LEJOG was the last one, 100 miles - Lairg to JoG, but was with full camping gear on a heavy bike! Averaged 75 per day, one day off when spoke broke.
Started running last year but arthritis stopped it. New hip next Monday if nothing intervenes, haven't been on my bike since May - can't get leg over.

I know no avid runners who haven't been to the doctor for some reason (foot problems, shin problems, knee problems).

I also know no cyclists who have been to the doctor for some reason (aforementioned two dead folks aside, no doctor was needed).

Lot of it reading back (from page 1) is typical sarcastic shitee, but maybe that is your friendly way, very hard to tell with you these days. Maybe you aren't even aware of what you are doing.
Oh yes it was quite funny I thought. I am entitled to answer back just like everybody else!

n.b. your own posts always seem to be the most angry and abusive of all, in this thread as in others. You seem unaware of this. I'm just clicking the ignore button, in case you start winding yourself up again. TTFN!

Last edited:
Yes but there are lots of cyclists around here of all ages shapes and sizes. Do you really think it would only be slightly more dangerous if they were all driving HGVs instead?

Back