road cycling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
Just seen coverage of this event in Yorkshire on tv. I thought cycling was very environmentally friendly, not when the "pros" do it. Have you seen how many support vehicles are involved!!
Give them one bike and if they get a puncture etc ,let the rider sort it, not throw the bike to one side and leap on another.

but why do they have to disrupt thousands of peoples daily lives just to tour about the country. why not hold the whole thing at silverstone and brands hatch and all the other racing circuits? they could still go round the country using different circuits in different areas.

thetyreman":2gk0t2ya said:
they go bloody fast as well, didn't realise until I saw it first hand :D

I offer anyone here the challenge of hopping on their bike and trying to ride on the flat at 30mph. Even for 1 second. Then imagine averaging 30 mph for 120+ miles, as they recently did in La Vuelta.

flying haggis":28d0p6i1 said:
but why do they have to disrupt thousands of peoples daily lives just to tour about the country. why not hold the whole thing at silverstone and brands hatch and all the other racing circuits? they could still go round the country using different circuits in different areas.

Is it disturbing you? It's one of the most popular sports in the country, and we are one of the most successful cycling nations on the planet. Additionally, this is the format of the World Championships, which we are hosting. It lasts just a few days, and is one of the most important spectator sports in the world. I'm terribly sorry that it's bothering you......maybe you could write to the organisers and suggest the changes you want to see for next time. Don't forget to describe how you are going to get thousands of feet of climbing into Silverstone, will you. Oh, and how you propose to compensate the local businesses for the millions they will lose by not being involved.

flying haggis":2jfwcfno said:
Because it's ROAD racing which is a recognised disipline within pro (and amateur) cycling. Does it really disrupt thousands of people???? Somehow I think not and even if it does mean a bit of a change of plan for some people well so what?
Compared to other sports it represents no more "disruption". And no crowd violence either.
We should all be far more able to embrace a sport which has been more successful for the UK than most others.

I agree with all MikeG and others have said. Should the London Marathon and similar events be moved to a circuit like Silverstone or B Hatch?
I think you'll find few agreeing with you. Get out to a big race some time and you'll experience the excitement and buzz, something well worth doing. Was stage side on the TdF a few times in the Pyrenees, unforgettable.

" Should the London Marathon and similar events be moved to a circuit like Silverstone or B Hatch? " Why not?

"Compared to other sports it represents no more "disruption".

" It's one of the most popular sports in the country, and we are one of the most successful cycling nations on the planet." So what!

How can a sporting event that is spread along thousands of kms of road NOT disrupt peoples daily lives. same for the marathon and all the other similiar events. there are plenty of purpose built running venues around the country, many built at vast expense, the london olympic venues for instance that should be used. God knows how the french put up with it every year.

I watched it, all that rain, the chaffing must be horrendous.

Some very interesting forehead tan lines.

I don't want to get sucked into this but the vortex is too great.

It doesn't disrupt thousands as long as the thousands know it's going to happen. The Prudential London Cycle was interesting in 2013. They basically closed London and a chunk of Surrey. We found out about this only when coming back from Oxford and wondering what the hell was going on as we approached Hampton Court bridge. Well, we then found out about the cycle ride and that a large number of Thames bridges were closed! We eventually had to park up for 5 hours until the bridges opened. We now know to check each year when the bloody thing is on and make sure we have no plans for that weekend that involve getting around or across Surrey/London.

One year we also got shafted with the London to Brighton ride. Mind you, that was many years ago before it all became trendy, but none the less, we check every year for when that one is on.

So the best thing to do is to get well away from the area, as in the year we stopped overnight in York on our way up to Scotland. Just the 4 hours wait to get out of York the next day. That was the start of the Tour de France (English bit) or something like that.

We have learnt now to check out "What's On" before going anywhere now, just in case.

While I love the idea that the contestants should have to fix their own punctures, I used to live about 200 metres from the Prudential route, and the upside was that all the potholes along the route get fixed in preparation for the race.

Flying haggis- does the VERY odd cycling event really impact your life that much? Yes, it can be a pain but in the scheme of things the effect is minimal.
I used to race veterans league races (until I had my neck fractured) and their races always had a sort of rolling road block set up. I mean for local people the disturbance was negligible. Professional races might be more of a pain but a lot of people enjoy these events and, lets face it, they don't happen all that often.

flying haggis":3aoob27g said:
....... a sporting event that is spread along thousands of kms of road.........

Ah, I see now. You don't know what you're talking about, so this is a straight forward argument from ignorance, a classic fallacy. Everything you say on the matter can be disregarded. I assume a cyclist kicked your puppy sometime. Before you dig yourself a deeper hole, why don't you see if there is a difference between the Grand Tours and the World Championships. Google will help you.

Good to see cycling taking off in Britain.
We saw the Tour of Britain stage 3 set off from Berwick a few weeks ago - brilliant everybody loved it.
We watch Tour de France every year, done a few routes ourselves including Mont Ventoux and the pyrenees via Col de Larrau - not the highest - we haven't done the Tourmalet yet! Cycle touring, not racing.
The roads belong to all of us (except motorways).

flying haggis":1xpj01ko said:
" Should the London Marathon and similar events be moved to a circuit like Silverstone or B Hatch? " Why not?

"Compared to other sports it represents no more "disruption".

" It's one of the most popular sports in the country, and we are one of the most successful cycling nations on the planet." So what!

How can a sporting event that is spread along thousands of kms of road NOT disrupt peoples daily lives. same for the marathon and all the other similiar events. there are plenty of purpose built running venues around the country, many built at vast expense, the london olympic venues for instance that should be used. God knows how the french put up with it every year.

I've a feeling you are not much of a sports fan, of any sport...
Anyway, you seriously think the London marathon could be held at ex Olympic venues or at B Hatch or Silverstone? How would that work? Any idea?
Clues: B Hatch GP circuit is less than 3 miles, Silverstone GP circuit is, what, under 4 miles or so? It takes around an hour for runners to cross the start line in the London marathon. See where I'm going here?

As for the French (and Dutch/Spanish/Belgian et al), I was in a village prior to the TdF coming through, I saw nothing but excitement and mad enthusiasm from the locals. It was obvious that the day (and it was only a day) was the biggest thing to hit the area in decades.

BTW, check out how many attend the TdF, it may surprise you.

I've always been reasonably pro cyclists however a very recent week in the peak district changed all that with races and constant other streams of cyclists around every narrow twisting road and some of the fast main roads as well.
No road closures, minimal signs of races apart from the odd motorcyclist at strategic junctions so little warning.

It wouldn't matter so much but some of them are downright bl**dy irresponsible, pulling out to overtake without warning or looking behind. I saw more than one close call! :roll:

Ban the whole damn lot of them I say. :wink:

Lons":215ewq93 said:
I've always been reasonably pro cyclists however a very recent week in the peak district changed all that with races and constant other streams of cyclists around every narrow twisting road and some of the fast main roads as well.
No road closures, minimal signs of races apart from the odd motorcyclist at strategic junctions so little warning.

It wouldn't matter so much but some of them are downright bl**dy irresponsible, pulling out to overtake without warning or looking behind. I saw more than one close call! :roll:
Cyclist can't easily look behind and mirrors don't help much. But surely if you were behind anyway you could see they were going to overtake whatever it was?
It would have been time trials not road racing, or maybe just a guided ride if there were marshalls of any sort.
Ban the whole damn lot of them I say. :wink:
If you have a problem with other road users have you thought of top-up driving lessons? Often a good idea if you passed the test a long time ago and starting to find things difficult to cope with.

Jacob":36dh6t9m said:
Cyclist can't easily look behind and mirrors don't help much. But surely if you were behind anyway you could see they were going to overtake whatever it was?
Not what they were overtaking but who as they were clearly racing whether timed or not and overtaking each other sometimes 3 and 4 abreast, but as always you've taken up the batton and got it ar*e about face. :lol: :lol:

* Your powers of observation are clearly impaired as you failed to notice the :wink: at the end of my post. :lol: :lol:

* I never said I couldn't overtake them, read the ****** post properly :roll:

* If they can't see behind then they shouldn't pull out to overtake, no excuses, often on blind corners and whilst they are risking their own lives they are also endangering the lives of others. Some of this was over a very busy Saturday, sun shining, cars full of kids, as I said "irresponsible"!
If you have a problem with other road users have you thought of top-up driving lessons? Often a good idea if you passed the test a long time ago and find things difficult to cope with.

And in reply to that last crass and insulting sentence, I'm an advanced driver though it's non of your business tbh however please come cycling to my part of the world and I'll give you the due care and attention you so richly deserve.

Lons":1cce19rf said:
And in reply to that last crass and insulting sentence, I'm an advanced driver .....
Really? Doesn't sound like it :lol:
Derbyshire is very popular with cyclists being in easy reach of Manchester, Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham etc and has major attractions like the High peak and Monsal trails. Probably the most cycled part of Britain. So perhaps best avoided.
The M1 not far away you could just drive up and down there instead? No cyclist at all!
PS cyclists are usually safer riding in groups as this makes them easier to overtake in one pass, even if you have to wait for the right moment, rather than overtaking each one strung out in a long line. Some less advanced motorists don't know this. 3 abreast isn't good though.

Latest posts

Back