Riving knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpps

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a riving knife for a 72 era 10" Wadkin AGS that you could measure/draw around? Mine is missing, but I have a contact that can make me a new one if I draw it on CAD. That goes for any other sheet metal parts if anyone needs anything.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a riving knife for a 72 era 10" Wadkin AGS that you could measure/draw around? Mine is missing, but I have a contact that can make me a new one if I draw it on CAD. That goes for any other sheet metal parts if anyone needs anything.

Thanks.
I can do that for you, probably tomorrow (if it’s for the round crown guard as opposed to the pelican shaped crown guard) I also need to have made 4off riving knives, any chance of being able to order a few more? Clearly happy to pay for them or trade for a main fence micro adjust assembly which we make. If not, may I have a copy of the CAD to get some made myself?

Last edited:
I can do that for you, probably tomorrow (if it’s for the round crown guard as opposed to the pelican shaped crown guard) I also need to have made 4off riving knives, any chance of being able to order a few more? Clearly happy to pay for them or trade for a main fence micro adjust assembly which we make. If not, may I have a copy of the CAD to get some made myself?

I'm new to these saws and mine is missing it's riving knife, so don't actually know which type it should have or what it looks like.

PM me your number and I can give you a call later if you like

Pop a photo up of your saw, that’s easiest to see which exact vintage / build it is.

Is this any help?

Attachments

• 20220502_144750.jpg
    20220502_144750.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 44
Here you go, my sketch of the riving knife. I’ve forgotten to measure the thickness of the spacer, but I will do that tomorrow. The spacer piece is riveted onto the riving knife, same dimensions etc, and the four holes can be out anywhere, not critical. If you need any other dimensions / any checking just give me a shout. All dimensions apart from a couple are in mm the others are imperial with the nearest metric next to it. I was always taught to put a line through a zero, so it can’t be mistaken for a 6 or 9. So sorry diameter symbol is also used that is exactly the same! Hope it’s clear which is which.

The 7.5mm hole in the middle of the plate can be deleted, it doesn’t do anything.

There is a small bush that keeps the crown guard at the right distance from the riving knife and also provides somewhere for the star handle that clamps it in position to screw into. They were originally imperial threaded, but metric is far better.

75F5D9A7-D8EC-4CA9-B746-AC50CE418BA8.jpeg

57223C9D-2016-45B0-9493-423426A9B0C7.jpeg

AAE529DA-2478-407A-A6E3-D1C8D55D5591.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe your saw would have had the round crown guard as opposed to the pelican. The pelican uses a slightly different riving knife shape.

This is what I believe your should look like
4068767A-6CEA-4D46-8009-C76BC7BCFE5D.jpeg

As opposed to the pelican

5509EC59-B7E3-4776-8EC3-C796F52578C2.jpeg

I’ve got one of those pelican guards - it’s sitting in the garage, I bought it ages ago to fit a PK but eventually sold the machine.

I must get around to sell it

Hi HPPS, I've got a 72 10" AGS also. Message me if you need any more info. My riving knife is different from the ones already posted. You can see it working on my YT channel with my same name as here. Tony
Screenshot (1943).png
Y

Stripped the rest of the saw down today and found the riving knife bracket is broken. I can get a new one lazer cut, but is it worth me having a few done to sell, or is there not much of a demand for these?

Attachments

• 20220508_164647.jpg
    20220508_164647.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 16
@Hpps what material are you getting your riving knife/knives made in?

I was looking for a replacement thinner riving knife to go with a PCD diamond blade (see here New (thinner) riving knife for diamond blade) but have not yet done anything about this.

I can’t help with your actual query, but may be interested to follow up with your machinist (with you or separately) to get a 2mm or 1.9mm riving knife made to the pattern of my existing one. I didn’t have any luck matching up any of the various patterns that Scosarg had.

I had a comment that the right material is gauge plate or ground flat steel.

cheers

Back