River of glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen in factories etc a river of glue that applies glue to a surface in great speed. This would be ideal for one of my products as it takes an age to glue up. Basically someway I could wipe each surface over a "bed of glue" and get just the right amount on.

Any ideas?

How can anyone who lives so close to the Trent ask about "a river of glue"?

Many years ago when I worked at a boatyard they used to have a large contained full of PVA and a large roller similar to a foam decorating roller but bigger half submerged in the top of it.

When you rolled the work piece over the roller it then picked up and evenly spread the pva on the side of the wood being passed over it - we used to use it alot prior to vacuum bag laminations.

I hadn't seen one before, or since come to that but i'm sure it could easily be made.

Hope that helps

Rog

It's not a 'glue river' but:

charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory-9.jpg

...chocolate's a bit sticky init? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Rob...outa here, rapid!

Dodge":10yl1fi3 said:
Many years ago when I worked at a boatyard they used to have a large contained full of PVA and a large roller similar to a foam decorating roller but bigger half submerged in the top of it.

When you rolled the work piece over the roller it then picked up and evenly spread the pva on the side of the wood being passed over it - we used to use it alot prior to vacuum bag laminations.

I hadn't seen one before, or since come to that but i'm sure it could easily be made.

Hope that helps

Rog
Yes I think Jonny D uses one of those rollers for veneering. They are not cheap though at £100!
Oops! scratch that, I was thinking of the hend held ones, sorry. :oops:

I use a pizzi glue roller as Mailee says. Its a very quick way to put an even film of glue on a panel.

brown-11598x800.jpg

a couple of panels just been glued

brown-12800x598.jpg

Alan says there over £100 now which i can believe but worth every penny if you do a lot of veneering or laminating.

Cheers

Jon

+1 for the Pezzi roller. Got mine off the bay for £15, but having used it for a few years, I'd gladly pay £100 knowing what I know now.
Makes glue ups so easy.

Adam.

This isn't for laminating large sheets together. Its more for 2x2 blocks that need glue on 4 faces but there is 48 blocks. I also have a roller glue dispenser which is what im using for the job currently.

Dodge I think your idea is just about perfect. Thank you.

Dodge's gadget sounds like a big Leimfix
Virutex do a hand gluer like Jonny's but with a roller under the lid as well

Matt

Lamello make a glueing machine which is ridiculously expensive, though I guess it's not what your looking for!

How about DIYing one out of a plastic box with a series of small holes drilled along a bottom edge and fixing one of these to one side. When the box is held on an angle the glue should pour throught the holes and then be spread by the water blade?

Come to think of it, I might knock one up tomorrow to see if it works!

Did it work Mark?

What I came up with from Dodge's description.

GlueRoller.jpg

It worked but not as well as it could have. I think I need to make the holes a mm larger.

Attachments

• GlueRoller.jpg
    GlueRoller.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back