RIPPLEMARKS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horst Hohoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Horst Hohoff: Bowl Sycamore 270 x 55 mm

Ahornschale%201A.jpg

Very nice. 8)

I love the figure in the wood. I am not a great fan of Sycamore normally, as I find it a bit bland, but that is stunning.

Was there any indication that the ripple was there before you started cutting?

Regards

Gary

Lovely figuring Horst, The design makes the most of it, I like the highlighting of the inner edge. (friction burn or dye?)

Garry, we now go looking for pieces that show discoloration streaks at least, which I believe is at its most pronounced if the wood has been 'harvested' in the summer whilst there are a lot of sap sugars present and dried slowly.

Hello,
Thanks a lot for the compliments.
I bought the wood on ebay. It was a bunch of 3 pieces of sycamore and 2 pieces of walnut that I got for the starting price. This particular piece didn’t look very promising to me and definitely didn’t show any signs of figure. It was dirty with waterstains on it. I put it on the lathe more or less only to find out how sycamore turns, because I hadn’t turned it before. I did a few cuts to make the thing round and called it a day. I went back to it the next day with little enthusiasm. But when the figuring showed up after a few more cuts I got all excited about it. The highlighting of the inner edge is a friction burn which at first was rather an accident then planned. I wanted to find out if an old "secret" turner's remedy really worked, i.e. finishing the surface with a handful of shavings. When I applied a bit more pressure the edge turned black. It took some time till it dawned on me what had happened, but then I liked it.

like it m8, like it a lot, I have turned a few things in sycamore, but never found any thing like this,well done.....

Back