Ripple sycamore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a customer who would like a writing desk in sycamore and ripple sycamore. The design is simple and fine but she would like the top to be made from ripple sycamore.

Aside from cost, how well would this stand up to being used as a desktop? It would obviously be treated carefully but it would be a dreadful shame if it was to be easily dented. Is there anything I can do in the finishing process that would toughen it without masking the beauty of the wood?

She is reasonably fixed in her desire for this (aren't they all!) but if its not deemed suitable, any suggestions for similar alternatives would be welcome as well.

Thanks

Tim,

Not actually used sycamore myself but I think it should be fine for a desk, looking at the sort of furniture folk do make with it.

mvts2fs.JPG

I don't think any finish will really strengthen the wood but a good catalysed finish or even an acrylic should provide a strong, scratch resistant surface. Such finishes will also be non-yellowing and this is a quality I would definitely be seeking for a pale wood. Steer clear of nitrocellulose lacquer which does yellow - although both it and shellac have the merit of being easily repaired of course..

By reducing friction, a wax polish can help reduce damage from scuffs etc. although it does little else if the acrylic or catalysed finishes are used.

Another thing to bear in mind with ripple sycamore is that the ripples are caused by rapid changes in grain direction, and can be a bit tricky to plane. A big belt sander might be called for
John

Patina might be a suitable finish (do a search on this forum). It is certainly very resistant to everything. Some have found it to be slightly yellowing, but I found it to be reasonable on pale woods when applied in thin layers and rubbed down in between (contrary to the instructions).

As for an alternative - curly maple?

Does anybody know of a place to purchase some ripple sycamore or some curly maple? Any idea of the prices?

SimonA

I've just ordered the ripple from Boddy's - part of a big order of other stuff but looking at the paperwork the wood for the desk top alone works out to be about £120 :shock:

T

Cheers for the info fellas......I've always found Boddy's to be a little on the expensive side, but they always seem to have what ever your after.

How many board feet did you get Tim?

SimonA

It was about £40 per cube (I've put the paperwork away now) but it was near enough 3 cu ft.

They are expensive but the quality is high and they are easy to deal with esp with the more unusual stuff at lowish volumes. Timbmet don' t really want to know unless your spending £500 a go which means I end up storing more than I ever need.

T

Cheers for that Tim.

I've always found them to be more than helpfull and since they're only about an hour away I like to pop in every so oftern and have a bit nose around their tool shop and timber yard.

£40 cu ft is a little expensive but I might pop in over the weekend as I'm down that way anyhow.

Thanks again.

SimonA

D'you think thats expensive for Ripple Sycamore or anyway? I think its not too bad for rare (ish) material but it is a lot of money.

It was part of a larger mixed order (c. 12 cu ft) and does include delivery to Herefordshire.

That said I know I can rely on the quality and its still cheaper than my time messing about with less reputable sources.

Even though I'm only a one man band, the sales guy still took the time out to see me when he was down visiting large customers in my area the other week - personal relationships are I think really important and its nice to feel valued by a larger supplier who so often seem to regard businesses like mine a pain. :)

Cheers

Tim

Back