ripping up 8 x 4 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, this might sound a very basic question, but here goes,
I have to cut up 10 sheets of 18mm ply for some base units i am building. each finished panel will be 840mm x 600mm.
My table saw can cut 840mm wide, so i am looking for the best sequence to cut the boards and the safest.
do i rip the board 850mm wide across the 1200 or 850mm down 2440mm and then trim accordingly. do i rip the board 600mm wide across the 1200 or 600mm down 2440 and then trim accordingly.
I have a circular saw which i can use to make provisional cuts as well

Firstly, I'd be using a circular saw. Secondly, you can get 5 pieces per sheet. Therefore the obvious sequence of cuts is to cut 600 off the length first, then rip the rest of the board in half length-ways.

Altering your design to have pieces 810x600 would enable you to get 6 pieces from each sheet.

I'd be buying it from a supplier with a professional grade panel saw and getting it delivered as cut strips, all guaranteed accurate and splinter free!

As already said, get them delivered cut to size unless you have a saw with a scribe blade.
If you do want to cut them down, I used to raise the blade on my old saw that didn’t have a scribe so that I had about a 2mm deep cut, scribe one side, raise the blade and then make the cut to be sure I didn’t have any breakout.

Back