Quantcast

ripping up 8 x 4 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Andrew1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, this might sound a very basic question, but here goes,
I have to cut up 10 sheets of 18mm ply for some base units i am building. each finished panel will be 840mm x 600mm.
My table saw can cut 840mm wide, so i am looking for the best sequence to cut the boards and the safest.
do i rip the board 850mm wide across the 1200 or 850mm down 2440mm and then trim accordingly. do i rip the board 600mm wide across the 1200 or 600mm down 2440 and then trim accordingly.
I have a circular saw which i can use to make provisional cuts as well

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I'd be using a circular saw. Secondly, you can get 5 pieces per sheet. Therefore the obvious sequence of cuts is to cut 600 off the length first, then rip the rest of the board in half length-ways.

Altering your design to have pieces 810x600 would enable you to get 6 pieces from each sheet.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd be buying it from a supplier with a professional grade panel saw and getting it delivered as cut strips, all guaranteed accurate and splinter free!

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
As already said, get them delivered cut to size unless you have a saw with a scribe blade.
If you do want to cut them down, I used to raise the blade on my old saw that didn’t have a scribe so that I had about a 2mm deep cut, scribe one side, raise the blade and then make the cut to be sure I didn’t have any breakout.