Ripping thin strips of wood from PSE timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks for your comments all. I think I've been dissuaded from buying a bandsaw for now as I'm am a novice and I need to get the job done. I think there's some good suggestions on grabbing a cheap table saw and getting it set up and doing the rips on that. I think what I'll do to begin with is try to use the tools I have to get the job done (circ saw) and see if I can come up with some jig or other to help me. Failing that I'll opt for a table saw or try to find a local joiner to make the strips for me.

I hesitate on the tablesaw only because although I've watched hundreds of hours of youtube woodworking videos, in practice I'm a complete novice and I worry that I'm not ready for a tablesaw yet and I'll do some damage to myself in my ignorance.

I think what I'll do to begin with is try to use the tools I have to get the job done (circ saw) and see if I can come up with some jig or other to help me.

You should be able to rip thin strips off of wider stock using your circ with a sawboard - they cost very little to make

I've never had a table saw before, so was apprehensive about buying one when I obtained the De Walt DWE7485, which I would thoroughly recommend. Yes, it's loadsa money DeWalt DWE7485-GB 240V 210mm 1850W Compact Table Saw but, as others have stated, you'll easily sell it. Who knows, you might keep it. I found there was no setting up needed, other than sticking a pair of ear-defenders on!

Many thanks for your comments all. I think I've been dissuaded from buying a bandsaw for now as I'm am a novice and I need to get the job done. I think there's some good suggestions on grabbing a cheap table saw and getting it set up and doing the rips on that. I think what I'll do to begin with is try to use the tools I have to get the job done (circ saw) and see if I can come up with some jig or other to help me. Failing that I'll opt for a table saw or try to find a local joiner to make the strips for me.

I hesitate on the tablesaw only because although I've watched hundreds of hours of youtube woodworking videos, in practice I'm a complete novice and I worry that I'm not ready for a tablesaw yet and I'll do some damage to myself in my ignorance.
If you were a bit more specific about your location, county or nearby town, you may get some more targeted advice, things like nearby joiners shops etc. Perhaps someone might volunteer to cut these strips for you. With your location as “United Kingdom” you will not get that help.

Another vote for the dewalt table saw - it has a rack and pinion adjusted fence so you can accurately alter cut thickneses by literally a mm.
Expensive but great machine - once you’ve bought one you’ll want to find more excuses to use it.

As said find a friendly local joiners shop. 5mm thick laths are the kind of offcuts that get piled up on the floor behind the saw bench and they are happy to get rid of.

Failing that I'll opt for a table saw or try to find a local joiner to make the strips for me.
If you are looking to buy a saw, take a look at track saws. Peter Millard had done a lot of videos on them, including using cheap ones as well as expensive. It very much depends on the type of work you are doing, availability and size of workshop and of course budget. It is a minefield and if you ask for advice on here you will get loads of it, vast majority good but lots of conflicts.

Thanks guys, I'm based near portsmouth if that helps (updated my profile). Thanks for the table saw recommendations, I really like the look of that dewalt saw! I've watched lots of peter millards videos too, and so a track saw is also very tempting. Any specific recommendations for a beginner tracksaw?

You can't fail with a table-saw. The track can slip, so you might prefer the table- to the track-saw. As mentioned, it depends on what other stuff you might/intend to do.

I've never had a table saw before, so was apprehensive about buying one when I obtained the De Walt DWE7485, which I would thoroughly recommend. Yes, it's loadsa money DeWalt DWE7485-GB 240V 210mm 1850W Compact Table Saw but, as others have stated, you'll easily sell it. Who knows, you might keep it. I found there was no setting up needed, other than sticking a pair of ear-defenders on!
Thanks for that link - I've been after a small table saw (no room for a large one) and I'd been looking at the 7485, and that's the cheapest I've seen it lately. Fortunately, a couple of weeks ago FFX emailed me a 'you haven't bought anything from us for a while so here's 5% off' voucher and it was still valid - so I've just bought the 7485 along with the 7400 mobile stand.

If anyone else is looking at this combo, they are available as a set which is normally less expensive than the two individual items but as FFX currently have a price reduction on the saw it's currently slightly cheaper to buy the items individually.

I've just purchased this after seeing the price was cheaper than anywhere else. I had the 'honey' plugin on google chrome which got me another £22 off it :D £417.05 total, happy days! Thanks for the recommendation

Common problem. Solution - take a multitool, position architrave and temporarily pin. Run the multitool down the plaster tight to the arch making a shallow cut. With same multitool cut in sideways from the door casing removing some of the plaster. Fit architrave. Run a small bead of decorators caulk down the joint between arch and plaster. Job jobbied.

It's easier to cut the plaster away than fiddle with wood strips.......

Last edited:
Back