Ripping stock to same width

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening everyone

This has probably been asked a million times before but what’s your preferred method of ripping stock to the same width. I’m guessing the majority will saw table saw but are there other alternatives? Plunge saw? Maybe takes a bit longer to get it setup each time? Bandsaw? Maybe not as accurate? I’ve seen a Dewalt 7485 table saw for sale and I’m seriously tempted but just wondering if there’s an alternative? Ps I don’t have room for a large panel saw.

Many thanks
Pete

I prefer the bandsaw as it just feels safer with rough boards, but it’s not as accurate as the tablesaw. However I find large boards often move once the have been ripped down to size. As a result I tend to rip to rough size, leave them a few days, straighten one edge on the planer, then run though the tablesaw to final width.

Evening everyone

This has probably been asked a million times before but what’s your preferred method of ripping stock to the same width. I’m guessing the majority will saw table saw but are there other alternatives? Plunge saw? Maybe takes a bit longer to get it setup each time? Bandsaw? Maybe not as accurate? I’ve seen a Dewalt 7485 table saw for sale and I’m seriously tempted but just wondering if there’s an alternative? Ps I don’t have room for a large panel saw.

Many thanks
Pete
If that DeWalt saw is on Facebook marketplace, then it's very likely a scam.

Evening everyone

Many thanks
Pete
Excel table saw!!!! V similar to dewalt but much much much cheaper!

Thanks John, I know exactly which adverts you mean, but this one is from a local guy who seems genuine. No asking for money up front or anything like that! Thanks sams93 I hadn’t even heard of that saw so I’ll take a look.

If space is an issue a track saw can be very simple and much more versatile in a workshop where space is tight, simple jigs can make repeated cuts very simple, if you find yourself working with any slabs with a waney edge a track saw can give you a very good straight edge that would be complicated to achieve on a tablesaw or a bandsaw. I would urge you stay clear of any niche cheap versions, bosch or makita if budget is tight, festool or mafell if you're feeling fancy. I will say a makita with a 1.4m and a 3m track is more useful than a festool with a single 1.4m track

If space is an issue a track saw can be very simple and much more versatile in a workshop where space is tight, simple jigs can make repeated cuts very simple, if you find yourself working with any slabs with a waney edge a track saw can give you a very good straight edge that would be complicated to achieve on a tablesaw or a bandsaw. I would urge you stay clear of any niche cheap versions, bosch or makita if budget is tight, festool or mafell if you're feeling fancy. I will say a makita with a 1.4m and a 3m track is more useful than a festool with a single 1.4m track
Excel make compatible tracks for the festool (and Makita I believe) for a fraction of the price of the brand versions. I have two of their 700mm and two of their 1400mm, I don’t think they do a 3m though.

Annoyingly for some reason their 1.4 and 0.7 can’t be joined.

Peter Millard does a good video about the tracks on his YouTube channel easily found with a search.

Latest posts

Back