Ripping down fence pickets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox2306

Reaction score
I am fed up ripping down 1.8m fence boards with a hand saw. I am looking to set up a system using a cutting guide and electric saw. I am not sure which type of saw I should purchase. Would a straight forward circular saw do the job or would I be better getting a plunge saw to use with a cutting guide. I am likely only to use the saw for ripping down boards so I dont want to spend a fortune on a saw although I would stretch my budget to get the right saw for the job. I have looked at cutting guides available to purchase online but there are not many that are long enough as most of the boards I rip down are 1.8m long. I am thinking of making a home made one to use with an electric saw but I am unsure of what saw to buy that would be suitable for the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210615_160630.jpg
    IMG_20210615_160630.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 35
Without fully understanding what you are doing/making I would have thought for repeat work that a small, basic table saw would be the simplest solution (something like the Aldi/Lidl marketed stuff) - usually to be found on ebay/Gumtree. Set the blade height and fence, featherboard and use a push-stick to run the timber through ad infinitum (a simple support on the exit side will keep boards level as they emerge)

Plunge & circular saws excel at cross-cutting and working with sheet goods etc. Assuming you’re ripping 2 x 4’s etc then you’ll likely have a frustrating (and potentially dangerous) experience - it’s not that it can’t be done but you’d have to have a way of supporting & guiding the saw flat against the workpiece and the width of the rail/saw baseplate is a challenge when cutting narrow lengths.

I’d echo the above suggestion for a table saw and some height adjustable saw horses to use as in/out feed etc.

Last edited:
can you not but the timber at the width that you want? Paying a bit more is probably cheaper than a cheap saw for 1 job.

Latest posts

Back