RIP Trend T30

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after some advice!

After recommending the Trend T30 to someone else a few weeks ago on this forum I must have given it the kiss of death as when I was using it today the motor started smoking really bad to the point I thought it was going to catch fire, so in a nutshell I binned it.

Wouldn't care, I really liked it and looked after it and only had light use really.

So I'm debating....do I get another new Trend? (can you just buy the motor as a spare?) as the body, which I kept, is still immaculate, or try something different?

Again, as I posted, I am (was) really happy with the Trend but now I'm open minded on what to get next.

Ive just been looking at the Festool Midi, very expensive, however are they any good?

Does anyone know of any offers on them at the moment from anyone?, or should I just get another Trend?

Or of course, any other recommendations?

Thanks

phil p":1oagvs81 said:
Ive just been looking at the Festool Midi, very expensive, however are they any good?
Yes, very good. Expensive? Well, that's relative to how long they last, no? I bought my Midi when they were first introduced (late '06 I think) it's used daily and is still going strong, so the amortised cost so far would be around £45 per year, and getting cheaper all the time... Just out of interest, how much was your Trend? How long did that last?

That said, if you don't need a vac to be part of a system i.e. if you don't use systainers, or don't cart your gear around much, then the Nilfisk Alto and Fein vacs are also well worth a look.

But I paid my money, made my choice; no regrets at all.

HTH Pete.

i would look at the Alto/Wap vacuums. They made my Festo SR6 machines 1992 and 1995 - running perfectly , auto switching and airflow monitors all still good. They make for Makita,Stihl,Protool,Nilfisk-Advance and Nilfisk-Alto and lots of other brands
Starmix and Karcher also supply lots of tool manufacturers
Decide what dust class you need and do some digging around - some machines have small expensive bags, others take cheap plastic sacks and have filter shakers etc. My small vacs now run on cheap Numatic fleece bags which don't tear like the crappy brown paper bags
Matt

Just had a qiuck look at the Numatic brands at Axminster, the drum type (NV750).

Are these any good, seems to have decent reviews?

Must admit the only thing I can see against them is that they dont look very portable, it would be O.K. when in the garage, however when using in the house it could be abit harder, I know you can get the base however that bumps the price up a bit, as the look as thought they don't even have a carrying handle?.

Peter, I had the Trend for over 3 years and think at the time I only paid £140 to £150 if my memory serves me right, however they are£200+ now, again I was pleased with it performace wise, having said that for the number of times it was used, and it was only light use, I am slightly dissappointed it last longer so whether I had value out of it.......debatable.

Phil

hi, unless its already gone to the tip do you have a tool repair shop nearby, if lucky may of only been down to sticking carbon brushes, a little clean up of armature may help. even if not they should tell you if it'd be a cost effective repair (about £20 for brushes, £120-130 for new 240v motor, tad more for 110v), i know i'm taking mine in as its started howling like a banshee!! ade

The motor is listed as a spare part for £125 ! If you want to keep the vac I would open the bonnet remove the old motor and take measurements - overall height, fan case height (1 or 2 stage turbine) diameter and wattage
You should be able to find a replacement - search for Bypass vacuum motor somewhere like PB-vac
Matt

I've had my T30 for about 10 years, I use it a lot and have to empty it about once a week. It has a pre-filter (essential). Bloody good machine. If the motor in mine went I would get a spare motor. I also have 4 of the Nilfisk Alto extractors which I bought from Machine Mart for about £115 including carriage. They are ok but they don't have a pre filter and you need to keep the filter itself clean or they will burn out as they don't seem to have a thermal cut-out.

Sorry,

I forgot to ask, especially Festool users.

If I did push the boat out and opt to go for the Festool, has it good good filtration to deal with the dreaded MDF from routers, saws etc ?

Phil

phil p":3kmn1301 said:
If I did push the boat out and opt to go for the Festool, has it good good filtration to deal with the dreaded MDF from routers, saws etc ?Phil
Yep, all current Festool vacs have HEPA filters as standard (0.3 micron filtration), and combined with the newer self-cleaning bags they're very good. Caveat: I work with mostly sheet materials (MDF and ply) and as good as they are, dust collection is never 100%, so if you're making a lot of hazardous dust it's still a sensible option to take the usual precautions.

HTH Pete

phil p":2hjqpvwx said:
Sorry,

I forgot to ask, especially Festool users.

If I did push the boat out and opt to go for the Festool, has it good good filtration to deal with the dreaded MDF from routers, saws etc ?

Phil

I have the ct36 and that takes care of dust from MDF perfectly. It's a fantastic piece of kit! I don't know how well it works with other tools than Festools own, though.

Shrubby":2e5ft6dz said:
The motor is listed as a spare part for £125 ! If you want to keep the vac I would open the bonnet remove the old motor and take measurements - overall height, fan case height (1 or 2 stage turbine) diameter and wattage
You should be able to find a replacement - search for Bypass vacuum motor somewhere like PB-vac
Matt

See if there is a frame size listed on the motor label. Most motors come in standard frame sizes, which define all the external dimensions including the shaft. If you can find an identical frame motor that's the same power and rpm, it should fit.

Kirk

Thanks for all the replies lads.

Once again, very useful advice.

Regards
Phil

phil p":36zf33jm said:
Hi,

I'm after some advice!

After recommending the Trend T30 to someone else a few weeks ago on this forum I must have given it the kiss of death as when I was using it today the motor started smoking really bad to the point I thought it was going to catch fire, so in a nutshell I binned it.

Brushes!!!

Hi Phil, I was the guy you recommended the T30 to,along with A guy I know who owns one. They do seem to be quite popular so today I went to my local power tool supplier with the intention of buying one.The guy at the suppliers asked was there any particular reason why I wanted the T30, 'told him I had heard some good things about them and although he didn't dismiss it he said there were better makes available around the same price range. Anyway I ended up buying the Metabo ASR 2025,has twin filters which are 3micron (I think) compared to the trends 12 micron. It also has A 3 year warranty compared to the trends 1 year it was only slightly more expensive at £212 however the trend with the finer filter was £220 so I guess it was cheaper ! The guys at the suppliers said they can't see any difference between the Metabo and the Bosch 25 litre vac' and I have to agree . Anyway time will tell whether I have made the right choice. Thanks Phil. p.s 'will post A short review when I have put it through it's paces..

Back