RIP Steve Jobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
The inevitable has happened and he died yesterday.

I for one, think it a sad day.

What I don't understand is, that even on the day a man dies, the idiots are out in force. One comment even said "glad he's gone I hated the devil" or words to that effect.

What was it about him that invited such vitriol? Do these people hate the manufacturers of cars they don't drive and can't afford, or the makers of bombs and bullets that murder people every day? Nope, they reserve it for someone at the forefront of the media who was actually just making leisure goods.

In my days I have had a sort of "BIll Gates is the devil" phase but did I hate him? No - but then I didn't know him. I just knew that his company was making my life more difficult that it needed to be.

There's nowt so queer as folk 'cept you an' me - an' even thee's a little queer.

Cheers for that link - fantastic speech.

Speaking ill of the dead, does nothing for the dead, just upsets the living.

I suspect most that have nothing but vitriol - their lives must be miserable in comparison to Jobs\Gates or even most mildly successful people, i.e. bordering on a complete waste. So rather than rant off against the guy at the office that has done well or the neighbour and risk getting your head kicked in, why not rail against someone afar, safe behind your keyboard, i.e. Keyboard hard-men(women).

Dibs

Very sad to see him go like this, but from reading the on-line papers, apparently quite a difficult character to work with, which I didn't realize. I wonder in which direction A will go now? - Rob

Think what you like about Apple, be the worlds biggest Microsoft of Android Fan boy, none of it would have been like it is today with out Steve Jobs.

Very sad day for techies :(

Very sad news. Been using Macs for over 20 years so I've seen quite a bit of footage of him over the years as new products have come to market.

Yes very sad and only 56.

I really like my iPhone and MacBook and I hope they continue to produce excellent and innovative products?
He will be a hard act to follow?

Rod

As an ex Apple user, I would like to view my thanks to SJ and the rest at APPLE for the work they did and hopefully will still do.
A sad day for those that knew him and also his family. I would like to wish all the best in these trying days to those people.

K

I think that his claim to fame is that he managed to produce 4 products that each one revolutionised the market.
The Mac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

I can't think of any company in any field that has done as well. Most are lucky to produce 1 or 2.

In wood working Festool did with the random orbital sander.

sometimewoodworker":t8krpjqf said:
I can't think of any company in any field that has done as well. Most are lucky to produce 1 or 2.
Let's not forget his work at Next and Pixar as well. 56 - it's no age really is it? No great surprise - he's been seriously ill since 2003 - but a sad day all the same.

petermillard":1t62vp8w said:
sometimewoodworker":1t62vp8w said:
Let's not forget his work at Next and Pixar as well. 56 - it's no age really is it? No great surprise - he's been seriously ill since 2003 - but a sad day all the same.

Or, frankly, the Apple II. I bought mine in 1979, and compared to anything else at the time, it was kick *ss.

Kirk

kirkpoore1":2080yk1l said:
petermillard":2080yk1l said:
sometimewoodworker":2080yk1l said:

Or, frankly, the Apple II. I bought mine in 1979, and compared to anything else at the time, it was kick *ss.

Kirk

Sure was. I know someone who's still got one. And I used to run a small computer company that ripped out the motherboard and stuck it into a dedicated casing with built-in screen, hard drive, 80 column card...and a smart keyboard. No dangly cables...bit like an early Mac. Small wonder that we got a letter from Apple's lawyers..bit OTT though. We weren't copying their boards or software...just packaging it a bit better.

RogerS":2eqt7th5 said:
Sure was. I know someone who's still got one. And I used to run a small computer company that ripped out the motherboard and stuck it into a dedicated casing with built-in screen, hard drive, 80 column card...and a smart keyboard. No dangly cables...bit like an early Mac. Small wonder that we got a letter from Apple's lawyers..bit OTT though. We weren't copying their boards or software...just packaging it a bit better.

I still have mine--hand written serial number 17 thousand and something. Haven't turned it on in 15 years or so, but it worked last time. The repackaging sounds like a cool idea, but Steve was kind of a control freak, so I can see where they'd object.:)

Kirk

I don't know whether it's me, it probably is, but Jobbs seemed to have an un-nerving capacity to convince us (not me) to buy stuff that we don't acutally need. I was on the railway station platform at Andover the other day waiting for the train...of the eight or so people that were in sight, seven were busily scrolling through iphones or had white 'bud' things sticking out their ears. All in each case were totally oblivious to the world around them, or so it seemed. Then when I was on the train and had to get my bike out the rack, I had to contact the owner of the bike in front of it...guess what? He had white things in his ears :evil: and was again completely out of touch (not literally 'cos I has to thump him to make contact)
I've no doubt that Jobs has advanced his particular brand and made the A products uber-cool 8) 8) but as far as I'm concerned a computer (or laptop) is just a computer and will do the same job with out having to pay the extortionate price of the Apple image. As for the iPod, if I want to listen to music (which I do, frequently) then I'd far rather put something on the hi-fi at home and settle down on the couch with a nice glass of vino colapso.
Apple...nice stuff, but not for me - Rob

woodbloke":2rr7x2l2 said:
but as far as I'm concerned a computer (or laptop) is just a computer and will do the same job with out having to pay the extortionate price of the Apple image. As for the iPod, if I want to listen to music (which I do, frequently) then I'd far rather put something on the hi-fi at home and settle down on the couch with a nice glass of vino colapso.
Apple...nice stuff, but not for me - Rob
This pricing thing still makes me laugh. Its one of those urban myths. Any decently designed computer with the same spec as a Mac is going to cost the same or more. How come the Sony machines don't get this label? The iPad is the same. Good design has always rated near the top of my list. It makes using things a pleasure rather than a mere chore.

Why do you think Bang and Olufsen hi-fi sells. Its actually not that great, merely good. But its slick and beautifully designed. (Which is more than you can say about my old valve amp but thats another story :lol: ) I still love the design and feel of Quad gear. I have 33/50d's and 34/306 and they are a joy to use. Do they sound better than certain Japanese makes. Well yes actually but that doesn't stop most people buying the black boxes because of the received wisdom that new is better.

I totally agree about the couch and a good hi-fi but thats 'cos I'm old and unhip. If Apple hadn't done it, any one of several others probably would. Apple were far from the first to make an MP3 player.

It all started back in the Sony Walkman days and this is just the logical conclusion.

gus3049":hazouev7 said:
Why do you think Bang and Olufsen hi-fi sells. Its actually not that great, merely good. But its slick and beautifully designed. (Which is more than you can say about my old valve amp but thats another story :lol: ) I still love the design and feel of Quad gear. I have 33/50d's and 34/306 and they are a joy to use. Do they sound better than certain Japanese makes. Well yes actually but that doesn't stop most people buying the black boxes because of the received wisdom that new is better.

I totally agree about the couch and a good hi-fi but thats 'cos I'm old and unhip

I agree about British hi-fi gear as an ex-Linn/Incatech Claymore owner...I use a slightly different Naim :wink: now - Rob

woodbloke":2pmymswn said:
gus3049":2pmymswn said:

I totally agree about the couch and a good hi-fi but thats 'cos I'm old and unhip

I agree about British hi-fi gear as an ex-Linn/Incatech Claymore owner...I use a slightly different Naim :wink: now - Rob
Nice - rather plain Jane but very musical indeed. Rather like my old Leak Stereo 20 through the ESL's :D

Hello Woodbloke,

Does your Naim system 'play the mains' like mine did; even with a direct supply?
So I switched to Meridian, and guess what, it plays the mains even more efficiently :evil:
I still have my 30 + year old Quad 33/303 and that doesn't.....so much for advanced electronics.
And the sound difference isn't that great, given the relative cost difference....ho hum.

Definition of HiFi...the shortest route to bancruptcy known to man - far more efficient than the banking system.
Regards...Dick.

Latest posts

Back