Rip saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hand Saw Experts

Having recently returned to hand tools, one of the essentials I am missing is a decent rip saw. I am already the proud owner of the LN carcas and mitre saw, but can't decide what make/version of rip saw to purchase.

All advise on the pro's and con's is welcome.

Waka

Sorry I cant help Waka, the last time I purchased a rip saw was 1968, never been resharpen, reasonable price to a good home :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you had a good holiday and rest.

Waka,

Ooo, you can get some lovely rip saws secondhand. They're often in excellent nick and barely used, 'cos rip sawing was one of those tasks that people embraced machinery for at a very early stage. (Hmm... does that tell you something...? :roll: ) Whatever you do, don't waste your money on a new one; it's just not worth it when the quality of an old one will be so much better - especially given the amount of use it's likely to get. Easiest type of saw to sharpen too, incidentally.

Cheers, Alf

To Waka and Alf

I purchased an hardpoint saw 2 years ago 22" and its the best saw I ever had, and the yard I bought it from use them all day and chuck away when they start to dull. Around £7.

devonwoody":ntt6zkbb said:
TI purchased an hardpoint saw 2 years ago 22" and its the best saw I ever had, and the yard I bought it from use them all day and chuck away when they start to dull. Around £7.
Oh deary me :roll: I know, I use one myself on noxious materials like ply, but they're not the same. No soul. :( I would say "call me an old romantic" but on recent form you all will, so I won't :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Waka,
You don't say but I am taking it you mean a saw suitable for ripping a sizeable piece of wood - not a ripsaw for dovetails?

Like Devon I have used a hardpoint (a "Jack" bought for a few pounds from Tilgear). It is a good saw for chopping stuff into smaller pieces but a more "souless" thing is hard to imagine. I sold a lovely skew back ripsaw many moons ago before I knew what I really had and it had soul - it literally sang as it cut and - I kid you not - I sang along with it. I guess it was as prosaic as vibrations setting up some sort of harmonics in the sawblade but it was lovely and when it was making that noise, you knew it was cutting right.

I have since used Japanese saws for ripping like this. It works and cuts very accurately but slowly because of the small teeth and it ain't got soul!

Clipboard02.jpg

Back