Rip or crosscut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubtoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently picked up three old(ish) saws off ebay to have a go at sharpening by hand. They weren't expensive so its more about using them to practice on.

So, what have I ended up with?:

I think this is a crosscut (its 22" long, 9-10 tpi):
d4b78047-38fe-b6ce.jpg

I think this is a rip (26" long, 7 tpi):
d4b78047-3998-d08a.jpg

And I think this is another rip (26" long, 7 tpi):
d4b78047-3a17-e12d.jpg

Are my guesses correct?!

Cheers,

Jonny

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

First one doesn't look to be anything and the other two look like crosscuts to me. How are they cutting?

When you first sharpen saws its a lot easier if they are just dull but all the angles are ok.

Fat ferret":pjdm0htg said:
How are they cutting?

Rubbish!

Fat ferret":pjdm0htg said:
When you first sharpen saws its a lot easier if they are just dull but all the angles are ok.

Do the angles look OK?

I think 8-10TPI is a panel Saw, 6-8TPI is a cross-cut and 3-5 TPI a rip saw,

Gary

The last 2 look ok side on, my point is it's easier to re-sharpen a saw thats just dull as opposed to one someone has tried to sharpen, and failed on. Just keep to whats there. Once you have had a bit of practice you can recut new teeth on old saws without too much trouble.

Cheers FF.

Can anyone show me a side on pic of what an actual rip cut handsaw looks like as I'm confused now? ;-)

stubtoe":29sm7vcq said:
Cheers FF.

Can anyone show me a side on pic of what an actual rip cut handsaw looks like as I'm confused now? ;-)

Don't be so lazy just google it fer crissake!
It says about 2,780,000 results, if that's not enough just go away!

Sent from my Raspberry using dubbleduch

stubtoe":2zaeu8cv said:
Cheers FF.

A rip saw has: large teeth (5 tpi or bigger) no fleam (teeth filed straight across) and very steep rake, say 0 - 3 degrees.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back