Rip off Ford!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I was doing well with the business when yesterday the power steering went on the van. After having it checked out it was the belt tensioner for the power steering pump. Apparently it is a common fault. I had it replaced today but at a cost of £200! :shock: And that was just for the parts :shock: It is a tiny alloy housing with a plastic shrouded bearing bolted to it. Of course the bearing doesn't come on its own but as part of the housing even though the bearing can be unbolted! What a rip off! No wonder vehicles and insurance are so expensive! :twisted:

The lower sliding door mechanism of my dad's Fiat Ducato has broken. New one from Fiat.... £140. Taking the wee wee or what!!!

The biggest rip off I have heard of recently is the electronic handbrake on the new Discovery 4 - after you have put it on and off 500 times the vehicle will go into "limp" mode until it has been reset by a Land Rover Dealer for which they apparently charge in excess of £150 plus VAT just to clear the fault code to allow another 500 actuations before the same is needed again.

An electronic hand brake?! Where would we be without one? I feel deprived, (or is that depraved?)

Roy.

Thank goodness I run a Morris Minor Van, it will still be going when all these electronics/plastic packed cars are junk, if they aren't already.

Gareth

Yep! When I designed something I always worked on the basis that if I couldn't make it last for ever then I would at least try and make it easy to repair.

Roy.

I couldn't agree with you more Gareth. I am staggered at the price of spare parts for cars now! I guess I have been spoiled driving a Volvo for many years so haven't had to buy any. As an aside My friend who repaired the van has looked on E-bay and you CAN buy the bearing on it's own.........for £29! That is the last time I go to a dealer for parts. :evil:

I had the same with our Isuzu Trooper a few years ago - failed an mot at main dealers and I was advised needed new rear brake callipers - I was unfortunately in hospital at the time so my wife having been told that you could only get genuine callipers authorised the work.

£1000 (give or take a quid) later we had our car back with two new genuine Lucas callipers fitted at £370 each plus VAT and fitting

When I got out of hospital found that I could have bought the callipers direct from Lucas for £90 each! On querying the cost of the work was told your wife agreed the cost and committed the work!

Moral of the story - Never trust a main dealer!!!!!

I know what you mean about dealer parts, a small copper pipe went on the power streeing pump of a LDV I used to have and I was told I had to buy the pump as well for £500 + vat.

After a lot of running around someone suggested a local engine repair place.

I went in and was told by a young lad behind the counter that they could not make me one as the banjo fitting on the end of the pipe was not standard.

I was just about to walk out when an older guy came out and asked what the problem was, and then pointed out the young lad that they could use the banjo off the old pipe.

20 minutes and £15 later I had a nice new pipe.

Tom

I've had three or four Fiat Puntos, maybe not a great car but here they have several advantages, one we have a local dealer, two they are beloved by elderly lady drivers, three, they write 'em off regularly and four, we have a large local breaker! :lol:

Roy.

If the bearing unbolts, chances are you could get it from a power transmission/bearing factor for the price of a pint, and a silly bit of plastic pushed on.....probably reuse the old one....

I repaired the leccy window mechanism on her car the other week. Priced up a used one, at £50, So i fashioned a repair kit from an offcut of a plastic bath panel, a section from a free barclays pen casing an a little bolt and nylock nut.

Back