Ring tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim1950

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been looking at ring tools for end grain in bowls, never used one so advice please
Have seen hooked tools on youtube but can't find them in the UK

I spoke with Eddie Castelin a while back, as I wondered if they are a fad or really useful. He said he uses them, but you need to be good at turning to use them.

So sounds like they are fairly good, in the right hands I guess.

I would recommend looking at one the tools with removable carbide tips from Simon Hope or similar or the Hollowing tool from crown which is effectively a ring tool with a gate that limits the cut and the risk of catching. My preference would be the carbide tip

Tried one once and the catches were frightening. I concluded that the tool was uncontrollable and chucked it.

Ring tools are most at home on wet timber. I've used one on dry timber and hated every second. Grabby is an understatement. Hook tools look even scarier.
I've got one of Simon Hope's carbide hollowing tools and its much easier to use. I\d recommend one of those or a woodcut pro form if you plan on hollowing really deep and don't mind the expense.

The late Mark Baker showed me how to use it on one of the woodturning cruises, very interesting but I am with recipio and scooby on this. NOT FOR ME!
Have one for sale if I could find it.

Dave

Anyone who says ring tools are difficult to use doesn't understand how to use them properly ;) They are easily sharpened with a flat hone (all I ever use is a diamond credit card hone).
I use them frequently on both wet and dry wood for hollowing and if used correctly, those dramatic catches people talk of are non-existent and the finish is far better than achieved with carbide tools or scrapers because you are making a bevel supported cut just like you would with a gouge.
If you look at this goblet turning video, I show the use of a ring tool about 20 minutes in.

Thank you @Paul Hannaby . I too like using the ring tool it may have been you who showed me how it's used. I think this is probably the most misunderstood tool in the woodturning arsenal. I use one and can't say I really understand what makes it cut as well as it does, in the method in which it's used.

Thank you @Paul Hannaby . I too like using the ring tool it may have been you who showed me how it's used. I think this is probably the most misunderstood tool in the woodturning arsenal. I use one and can't say I really understand what makes it cut as well as it does, in the method in which it's used.
Hi Paul , Thanks for the demo on using the ring tool , Was the blank you are using wet or dry timber ?

Anyone who says ring tools are difficult to use doesn't understand how to use them properly ;) They are easily sharpened with a flat hone (all I ever use is a diamond credit card hone).
I use them frequently on both wet and dry wood for hollowing and if used correctly, those dramatic catches people talk of are non-existent and the finish is far better than achieved with carbide tools or scrapers because you are making a bevel supported cut just like you would with a gouge.
If you look at this goblet turning video, I show the use of a ring tool about 20 minutes in.
Thanks Paul will take a look at the video

Thanks for all the advice, I have got a number of t/c tips tools which I like and use but found tear end grain so when I watched the "turn a wood bowl" video on youtube by Kent Weakley using a hooked tool and the finish he got I was interested but could not found a hooked tool in the UK so on to ring tools.
I must admit after the first few replies I was thinking not for me but then watched the excellent demo by Paul Hannaby and well ones being delivered this morning. Thanks Paul great demo.
Will let you all know how it goes, may be a ring tool for sale soon

I want one now, lovely clean cut too.

Back